468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak entry to fish back of Scholes Field on West Bay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread!!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Dear West End Angler:

Thank you for the "thumbs up" on the post. I enjoyed putting it together and will be posting similar ones soon.

Have a great day...and I look forward to meeting in person soon.

John
      John M. Wedergren
      Actor, Recording Artist, Teacher
      (281)-759-5019 - direct
      johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

John, Thanks for the post. Here is my input. After reading your info, I decided to try this area. Have waded in the last 2 Saturday mornings. So far, here is what I have caught, using both live shrimp and soft plastics. 1 Croaker, 1 undersized flounder, 3 stringrays. Love the area and want to keep fishing there. Any suggestions on catching something other than the above? Just keep on trying and sooner or later I'll hit it at the right time? Thanks again, Mark

Comment

Fishofgolf... I was wondering the same thing. I drove down there to check it out but a guy that had been fishing for two hours with shrimp said he didn't even get a bite. I decided to wait and fish it another day. Are there actually any trout, reds and flounder in there and if so when is the prime time to hit it up?

Comment

Greetings Mark and Bobcat!

I appreciate you writing about fishing the Scholes field wading area and inquiry into further ideas and methods to fish it.

I've had the wide variety of experiences of catching no fish at all, several undesireable fish, 1 or 2 good fish, and limits of top notch fish. I've also had each of those experiences fishing early morning, day time, evening, and night...as well as low, ebbing, incoming, and high tide. You are definitely right on in that you have to keep fishing a spot over time.

Since this location has access to shallow water...and some deeper water available via wading and kayak (view the area to the West of the wading entry on the google earth map linked on my profile page)...and is connected to the access to Upper Galveston Bay (Causeway, Deer Islands, etc.,)...and the very deep waters of Offats Bayou...it provides a confluence for fish traffic.

Concerning baits, plastics and live shrimp are good choices as Mark has stated. While I"m a newbie to top water fishing...I would definitely add that bait to my arsenal as well as spoons. Since live bait is usually in pretty good supply via castnet...I would add the use of finger mullet, piggy perch, and mudfish...the first two in ready supply in the inlet heading toward the golf course.

I have found that focusing my approach for a particular fish is useful. If I'm interested in redfish...I'll go in with live finger mullet, soft plastics, and spoons and wade or kayak the shallows and cold pass that runs along the East shoreline (also visible from the google earth map). For flounder, I'll definitely fish the area in the Fall of the year...although it is also good during the Summer at night for both fishing and gigging.

Also...pay attention to what is happening in the water...and your instincts. Look and listen for blowups...slicks...exploding bait pods...and of course diving seagulls. Move toward the opportunity and your sense of what might work.

Feel free to call me and I'll be glad to chat with you further about fishing Scholes.

John
            John M. Wedergren
            Actor, Recording Artist, Teacher
            (281)-759-5019 - direct
            johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

can you fish the landing lights at night

Comment

Friends and Family fishing in Galveston where we caught a 10lb. jack as we were wadefishing

Ive tried that area before, maybe two or three times. Got skunk two times, and one time frien took a Jack out of there. That time walked in straight front, small reef out there. I ve done better fishing the bridge that goes over crash basin when u driving towards the launch spot. Trout under popping cork, and reds using arties. This is the video of the jack

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish58 View Post
                  can you fish the landing lights at night
                  The lights only come on when a plane is landing or taking off.

Comment

Working...
                  X