Rod Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Action

Wanted to get some input on purchasing my next fishing rod. I've decided on a St. Croix but I'm not sure on the action that would fit me best. I have found a medium lite and a medium heavy (I believe) rod which are world's apart. I have a Shimano Chronarch I primarily use with a popping cork. I rarely throw plastics without a cork either. Just wanted to get some opinions before purchasing, thanks!

I don't use popping corks or free lining. But I think a little heavier rod would be in order than if fishing with lures .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

If you're using a popping cork all the time then go with the heavier / longer rod. Some of the local guys use heavy bass rod blanks for that purpose. Gives you a better pop.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Medium for sure. I took medium & medium light for my daughter to use in to tournament yesterday. Dude by side you can see the difference. You can't get as good of a pop with a cork on a medium light as you can with the medium.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. I couldn't find a medium in the St Croix at bass pro I'm going to go to their site today or if not just get the medium heavy. The "pop" of the cork was exactly what I was getting at and along the same lines I was thinking. You're right on tho there was a HUGE difference comparing the 2. I've read a lot of energy is lost popping a cork with the light rod. Thanks again guys

Comment

I now use a medium heavy with a cheap Mitchell 300 spinning reel combo off the rack and 10-12# test. Any damage or abuse the whole thing is tossed. I usually get 2 seasons and then just replace again. The mono is replaced every other trip but only the last 100 feet. But, I have switched over to a barrel popper with a spring and lots of beads and a titanium wire for all to slide on to create the noise and attraction and not to bend the wire where it is all smooth back and forth sliding action. A single 1/4oz sinker is also attached to the lower swivel before the leader for an extra weight to sink the cork lower in the water for a better pop against the spring. So to me the cork and rig is more important than the rod or reel for attraction.
            "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

I just bought a St Croix med/heavy to replace an old AllStar med/heavy. I leave it rigged up for a popping cork (gulp or live shrimp) and it works great. You get a much better pop with the med/heavy IMHO.

Bought mine at Gander Mountain for around $110 about 2 months ago.

Comment

That's EXACTLY my situation actually. I like the AllStar and I've definitely put it thru the ringer but it's time to change it up. And thanks for sharing your cork setup awesome advice I appreciate it

Comment

Go cheap and get a h2O Express or other cheap rod-I think I paid about $20 for it-look around the rod racks at Academy-if ya look enuf, you can find some sale items-I got 2 shimano rods for around $20 each and a couple of express-I figured corks or for chicken dolphin instead of taking a hi-dollar rod. It outlasted my Laguna and if it breaks, it's only $20.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I need to rig one of my old medium castaways up with a popper. I say old but theyre the give away rods at the tournys. I haven't used a popping cork in some time. I know gulps are good, but do you guys recommend a bait under the cork that can be that go to bait across the board. Ive seen these imitation shrimp on the shelves look pretty good and natural but have only caught flounder on them.

Comment

I use an all star WR1 medium heavy rod. I used to bass fish with artificial, and like the stiffness. I also have an ugly stick, but it doesn't react as quick. Rod tip is to flimsy. Academy puts their rods on sale in October or November. I bought mine for $25 and $30. I wouldn't mine a Shimano rod for the same price and stiffness. Lord Bless.
                      robert
                      And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

I am wondering why you don't use a spinning rod/reel for cork fishing and save the Chronarch for artificials.? Cheap, casts farther with better accuracy and fewer (if any) backlashes. I keep a spinner setup in my boat in the winter when the water is real cold for use with a popping cork and artificial (fished at a controlled depth, near the bottom) for redfish. There are probably better opinions and advise, but it works for me. I'll trade you a real nice Lone Star Coastal Series rod and Shimano reel (spinning combo) for that Chronarch!
                        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Very true Termo. You can cast farther, use lighter artificial, less backlash (if you don't over spool it), fight a fish just the same. The only problem that I've had with spinning reels is I have problems feeling the bite. I've bass, catfish, stripper fished. A friend of mine would say: he hit it. He would set the hook, and he had a fish. I switched to a bait caster, and I started feeling the fish. That is just me. I've seen people where they can feel the fish when they hit the artificial using a spinning reel. It all depends on the person. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Wolf View Post
                            Very true Termo. You can cast farther, use lighter artificial, less backlash (if you don't over spool it), fight a fish just the same. The only problem that I've had with spinning reels is I have problems feeling the bite. I've bass, catfish, stripper fished. A friend of mine would say: he hit it. He would set the hook, and he had a fish. I switched to a bait caster, and I started feeling the fish. That is just me. I've seen people where they can feel the fish when they hit the artificial using a spinning reel. It all depends on the person. Lord Bless.
                            robert
                            I use a baitcaster for all artificials. I was suggesting the spinning combo for the cork fishing only (AND trying to get that Chronarch!) HAR!
                            Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Working...
                            X