1/2: East Bay - Not much to report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2: East Bay - Not much to report

I guess you have to post the bad days too.....

I fished the north shoreline of East Bay at ANWR today. I had the kayak in the water at 6:30a and paddled east to Oyster Bayou. It was blown out pretty bad but the early morning was really beautiful, light winds, etc. so I was optimistic.

When I launched, winds were about 10mph but the wind yesterday and overnight had blown the water out. Combine that with a 10am low tide and the water was way low (-1ft from MLLW). Water close to the shoreline was gin clear, it got toward the middle of the bay near Oyster Bayou but it was generally in good shape, just low. Wind picked up to 15, then 15-20 mid morning. Water got real sandy in places.

When I got back to the far reaches of East Bay, there were a good number of birds working and pelicans sitting on the water. I got upwind of them and cut a long drift through what I thought would be a killing ground. No dice. Not a bump. Birds kept working but I never got a good look at what they were after. I followed the pelicans around for a while and headed back west to Frozen Point area. There was nice green water west of the point with some color streaks from the sandy shoreline. I drifted the streaks, nothing. Saw one jumping mullet, again nothing. Threw the box at 'em today, mostly soft plastics - plumtreuse BAs, etc.

Good news, still had a great day. I got some good exercise, paddled about 10mi total. Lesson learned, great area to fish, just not today. Should have picked a better spot , something with access to deeper water or channels (well at least that's my analysis). Even though it got cold overnight, I thought the fish would stay in there. The cold and low water must have pushed them out - that, or I'm alot worse at this than I think. I fished hard all morning and got blanked. You have to put the time in to produce consistently, consider this a scouting trip. Was back at the truck at 1p and then headed home. Would have liked to stay through the afternoon, the water was coming back in when I left but momma needed me at home.

Hope some folks got into some fish. Tight lines.
    Attached Files
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Great report

Comment

Always a good learning experience everytime your out on the water, especially on a low tide, you get to see things you never knew were there.
      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Thanks for the full report! Nice pics also!
        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Determination and perseverance will pay off -- Glad you got out there. Thanks for the report and pics.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Usually on post front days, I wade a drop off I normally can't get to with a regular tide. Nice pics though!
            Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
              Usually on post front days, I wade a drop off I normally can't get to with a regular tide. Nice pics though!
              Good advice Jhua!!

Comment

Great pics, JYC! That's one heck of a paddle.
                BTW: I've been meaning to tell you how nice your new avatar is!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                X