Advice on the right way to do things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on the right way to do things.

All I am new to West Bay and want to understand the right way to do things. I was drifting then we got on some fish. So I decided to anchor and take advantage as we found the fish. Another boat drifted through and was easily with 60 yo 75 yards drifting towards us. So I pick up and moved. As we departed I was not concerned about my wake (maybe I am wrong for departing like i did) but I was extremely frustrated. My question is should I continue to drift or is it OK to anchor (power pole) when you find fish? The thing is the guy did not look like a knucklehead. Of coarse they were facing the other way and would hardly turn around and look at us.

I drift a lot to find 'em and I will anchor and get out and walk up on 'em. I would stay and give 'em the stink eye
    sigpic

Comment

Naw, screw the potlicker. I try not to mess with idjits, but sometimes they need a lesson (which they never understand because most are just doombazzes anyway).
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
        Naw, screw the potlicker. I try not to mess with idjits, but sometimes they need a lesson (which they never understand because most are just doombazzes anyway).
        This^^

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

The way I understand proper fishing etiquette that's your school you just found and they shouldn't crowd ya. Some say 500 yard bubble. I say stay about 200 yards from me andI won't mind.
          Green grass and high tides forever
          Mike Mathena

Comment

As long as they're drifting, and not drifting into your casting area (anchored), then I'd say let 'em drift. What I don't understand is firing up and blasting out of there if you were catching fish.
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

X2

Comment

If it's a reef that is being drifted by other boaters you don't anchor up.You go back around and drift again.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhornbubba View Post
                  If it's a reef that is being drifted by other boaters you don't anchor up.You go back around and drift again.
                  Yeah , if you're following another boats drift into fish and they are motoring back for another drift over the same water , you don't power pole down . If you are the first to find fish , you can anchor up or come back for another drift .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhornbubba View Post
                    This. Best reply yet.

Comment

You never anchor while drifting mud streaks or deep reefs. If you look at a drift line all boats are usually following a drift pattern. If you start catching fish and drop anchor you will end up in the drift line. You're not out just aimlessly drifting there is a slick, color change or just a known spot you're drifting. The courteous thing to do is drift through motor to the end of the drift line and drift back through. And repeat until limits are filled.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                        You never anchor while drifting mud streaks or deep reefs. If you look at a drift line all boats are usually following a drift pattern. If you start catching fish and drop anchor you will end up in the drift line. You're not out just aimlessly drifting there is a slick, color change or just a known spot you're drifting. The courteous thing to do is drift through motor to the end of the drift line and drift back through. And repeat until limits are filled.
                        X 2. Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the comments. We were there for about 45 minutes and there was no one in sight until they showed up. By the way that they acted i think 3 of the 4 people felt very uncomfortable with what was happening. I just find it frustrating that I always try to do the right thing and give way to people that are at a spot I was going to fish. There are days (we have all had them) you feel like all you are doing is driving around and burning gas. Like I said I am new to the area so I am certainly not hitting secret spots. Maybe I should not have blasted out of there so that is my bad. Thanks again and those that get to fish this week best of luck!

Comment

Yeah in that case you did nothing wrong. You should have pulled a Kenny on em and did about 6 donuts around em lmao
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                              Yeah in that case you did nothing wrong. You should have pulled a Kenny on em and did about 6 donuts around em lmao

x2

Comment

Working...
                              X