Eating Kingfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Kingfish

I never much cared for eating kings...usually had them grilled in steaks and thought that they pretty much tasted like crap. I came across a recipe for kingfish balls a few years ago that is so flippin' easy and I could eat kings every day now. Anyway, just had some so I figured I'd throw the recipe up any of you don't care for eating kings like I did. I also should say that I have always done this fresh and never frozen the kings...may make a difference.

All I do is get a pot boiling with crab boil, put em in there for three and half minutes, take em out, shake some Tony's on em, and eat. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

Anybody else do anything different with them?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Anything is good in crab boil!! --- I'm gonna take your word for it though..
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Sounds good to me!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

We breaded and fried them. They come out in perfect frying size.

Comment

I put mine in beer and mustard then fish batter then fry them mmmmmm good!
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Bacon rap them with a sliced pickled jalapeño and cook them on the grill until bacon is done. Whip up some garlic butter for dipping. Only way we eat em………

Comment

Originally posted by patwilson View Post
              Bacon rap them with a sliced pickled jalapeño and cook them on the grill until bacon is done. Whip up some garlic butter for dipping. Only way we eat em………
              ...........i do the same thing except after it's done, I eat the bacon and throw away the kingfish.

Comment

Whatever you do, marinate them in margarita mix for about 2 minutes first. This turns them from no good, to excellent.

Then I usually batter and deep fry them.

I've also grilled with sliced bacon and jalapeno. The kingfish is overcooked by the time the bacon is done. I'm sure the garlic butter would help. Next time I'm going to half cook the bacon in the microwave first.

And my favorite way. After marinating the kingfish balls, boil them for about 15 minutes. Drain water, then break them up with a fork. Then use them in your favorite crab cake recipe.

Comment

If you want fried make sure to take out the blood line in middle of fillet, cut cross way not over 1/2'' thick and batter with Matzo meal and Conrico seasoning, fry until batter is golden. Super good, Try grilled on skin with dab of olive oil or butter season with cerole, wrap in foil and cook for 20 min closed and open and let it finish until meat is flaky on serve over rice. I have served to lots of people both ways that won't eat kings and they loved it, then tell them what it is, but you must take out blood lines if frying.
                  Good luck,
                  Capt. Mike O'Dell

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                    ...........i do the same thing except after it's done, I eat the bacon and throw away the kingfish.
                    X2 Why ruin a great piece of bacon. I do like to cook kingfish for my mother inlaw when she flies in on her broom!
                    She loves it. Tells me it so much tastier then her standard groul.
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by patwilson View Post
                      Oh Yeah!!!! This is the way we do it. You'd be surprise how many people will tell you they don't like Kingfish, eat them this way and when you tell them what it is... they freak... can't believe that it's Kingfish. They usually will argue with you because they had it a different way and didn't like the strong oily taste...

I have people come to my parties and tell me the food is awesome, just don't tell them what it is, they don't want to know... This happen at Christmas.. I served this wonderful fresh grilled sausage.. 6 rings lasted 10 minutes... (Nutria Sausage - Yummmmm)
                      "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                      "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

What everyone forgot to mention was....when you ball a King, start from the tail and filet the first 4" back from the fork. This is when you make your 1 1/2-2" vertical cuts all the way towards the head. There is no need to cut any blood line because when you start that far back, all you'll get will be perfect balls of meat with no bone or blood...continue that balling all the way to the pectorial fin and turn her over and repeat! There should be no bones or blood using this method..(unless it's a really small king..then just filet it.)

After all of that is said and done, bread and season to taste!

......remember....don't get too fancy trying to clean a king....it's not that hard..and this comes from someone that doesn't even eat fish!
                        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Working...
                        X