Summer Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Project

Introducing the Suzuki Carry, 1,300lbs, 660 cc 3 cyl engine, 5 speed tranny w/ an EL (extra low) range when in 4x4, Axle Lock and Differential Lock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	574332 Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	574333

Picked it up NE of Dallas on Sunday.

So far I have removed all interior seats and panels to get them reupholstered.

Name:	seatsremoved.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	574334Click image for larger version

Name:	doorpanel.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	574335

Prepping the floor boards tonight for bed liner install and door panels for 6.5" speakers

Next on my list this week is the physical installation of the radio. The old one is easily removed but due to the space the depth of the radio becomes an issue.

Name:	radio.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	574336

Next week the new heavy duty front coil springs, 2" spacer lift, wheels, tires and fender flares will arrive. Then hopefully I can get James (TXSHOCKWAVE) to weld me up some seats & storage for the truck bed.

I am in the market for a 6'x10' trailer with ramp / gate.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

will be a nice rig when you finish it.keep us posted
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Summer Project

Man, what a great idea for hauling decoys! I always thought those were cool little vehicles .
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Summer Project

That's what I'm looking for. Where did you find it???? They are hard to find.
        I recently purchased this for 500.
        Karma's a beach.

Comment

I found it on Craigslist searched in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Lake Charles. I have a few numbers of some guys here in town that import them they can find you one in stock form and go from there like I did. I just lucked out with someone already tackling the paint for me. Plus all the body panels are straight, very little rust and everything works down to the windshield wipers!

If you call me I'll talk you through everything and fill you in. I started looking 2 weeks ago and finally found one and pulled trigger on it. My budget was a certain number and so I had to pass on a lot of already built ones that were just too expensive, plus I like wrenching.

Comment

Summer Project

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            I found it on Craigslist searched in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Lake Charles. I have a few numbers of some guys here in town that import them they can find you one in stock form and go from there like I did. I just lucked out with someone already tackling the paint for me. Plus all the body panels are straight, very little rust and everything works down to the windshield wipers!

If you call me I'll talk you through everything and fill you in. I started looking 2 weeks ago and finally found one and pulled trigger on it. My budget was a certain number and so I had to pass on a lot of already built ones that were just too expensive, plus I like wrenching.
            Ok cool. IDE rather paint it myself and lift it, build racks etc.....
            Karma's a beach.

Comment

Nice , I'm about to flip the springs on my samurai to get ready for hunting season
              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Summer Project

Lift kit has arrived.

Comment

Summer Project

Cool! Are you going to independently control the lift on each wheel?
                  At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Coe, that looks like a fun project! Keep us posted.
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

The lift kit arrived along with the new rims & tires. I had them mounted for a few extra bucks which made it nice not having to deal with it.

I started off by removing the front tire, loosened the bolts holding strut under the seat and then took the two nuts off the front knuckle. I popped off the brake line off the strut as to not get it hung up and so I could easily work on everything. With the fully assembled strut now out of the vehicle I compressed the spring and then removed the bolt holding everything together. Thanks to one of the members on MiniTruckTalk (Trax & Horns) for some input on this step as I wasn't sure if I needed a key or a large pair of channel locks to hold the strut from spinning in order to remove the nut.

Name:	oldspring.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	559891 Click image for larger version

Name:	strutremoval.jpg
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	559893 Click image for larger version

Name:	oldspring.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	559891Click image for larger version

Name:	newvsold.jpg
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	559890 Click image for larger version

Name:	newspringstrut.jpg
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	559887 Click image for larger version

Name:	newstrut.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	559888Click image for larger version

Name:	reinstalledstrut.jpg
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	559892

Once disassembled I removed the old spring and compressed the new spring and reinstalled. This was tricky with no air tools slow process to keep the spring even. After installing the new springs I reinstalled the strut and put it back under the truck.

I grabbed the new tire & wheel and jacked up the front strut to allow clearance. Placing it up there I quickly realized the new ITP stud holes on the rims are smaller than the studs on the Carry. Not only are the holes the wrong side on the rims but the bolts they sent me are the correct size. I wonder what they were smoking out in California? The studs they are beveled to center the bolt on the rim. The lug nuts do not even remotely come close to even fitting in the holes on the rims! :frustration:

Name:	newtireproblem.jpg
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	559889

So no tires and wheels on her yet. The rear lift was much easier and went together quickly. I used 1/2" x 4" Hex bolts for the new shackle bolts. They have the smooth surface for about 3" before the threads start. I probably could have gotten away with 3.5" but I opted for more smooth surface area before the threads. No instructions with the lift made things fun.

Name:	newhangers.jpg
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	559886 Click image for larger version

Name:	newhanger2.jpg
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	559885

What she should look like with her new shoes leaning against old ones.

Name:	futurelook.jpg
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	559884

After installing the lift kit I popped the cover on the truck bed and looked at the carb. I have been having issues with it revving up to high and not idling back down once it was warm. I think I found the source of the problem but not 100% sure. I gave everything a good coat of Corrosion-X.

Here's a photo of the carb...Not sure what is going on here but there appears to be a wire preventing full articulation of the carb choke or idle? I will have to do some more reading on these carbs and play with it while she's running.

Name:	wireoncarb.jpg
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	559895

Also pictured below are the new rims & tires acting as paper weights right now.

Name:	tires.jpg
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	559894
                      Last edited by WestEndAngler; June 29, 2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

This will be really cool when complete. Hope you can resolve the rim issue with those Cali folks!
                        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

IT LOOKS COOL ALREADY , AND WHEN FINISHED IT'LL BE SUPER COOL . BUT I CAN'T APPRECIATE THE FINER DETAILS OF THE SUPER CARBORATED DUAL INFLUX CAPACITOR COIL INDUCTION INTAKE VALVE SPRING OVERIDE INDUCTION MANIFOLD SUPERCHARGED TURBO ANALOG BOOSTER NITROUS SUPERCONDUCTOR DUEL ENERGIZER GEARLOCK HEMI INDUCER J-FRAME LAMINATED LIFT VALVE NANO MODULATED OPEN CIRCUIT PROPULSION QUANITATIVE REFLUX SYNCHRONIZED TANDEM UNIVERSAL REVOLVING WINGNUT WIGIT GADGET . I'M A MECHANICAL IGNORAMOUS . I PUT THE KEY IN AND TURN IT TO THE RIGHT .
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Summer Project

New bedliner added. Interior was done as well.

Comment

Summer Project

Lookin good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X