X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Biggest on Fly to date!!!!!!! Southern Louisiana

This beast was sight casted to of course, on a 10wt TFO rod in 3' of water

The biggest red to date on fly, gonna be hard to beat lol

45" and bottomed out the 30# Boga, so have no idea of weight.

Capt Thomas
    Attached Files
    Capt. Thomas Barlow
    281-827-6815
    www.notoriousguideservice.com

Nice, nice fish! Congratulations. What pattern?

Comment

WOW thats a beast. Wtg

Comment

My Biggest on Fly to date!!!!!!! Southern Louisiana

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amazing. What a fish!
          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Nice job. We have been debating a better way to weigh those fish vs. potentially breaking their jaw hanging them from a boga. The best ways we could come up with were using the tarpon formula or keeping a bathroom scale on the skiff and step on while holding the fish.

Comment

That's a nasty red Thomas!! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Brandon, you need a cradle to lay the fish in when weighing. There isn't a fish out there that should be hung vertically from a Boga grip for weighing, Can you imagine someone holding you up by your jaw?? Not to mention that fish have internal organs that are intended to be supported horizontally, with reduced gravity under water.
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Wow! Excellent red! Was that on the big lake?
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                  That's a nasty red Thomas!! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Brandon, you need a cradle to lay the fish in when weighing. There isn't a fish out there that should be hung vertically from a Boga grip for weighing, Can you imagine someone holding you up by your jaw?? Not to mention that fish have internal organs that are intended to be supported horizontally, with reduced gravity under water.
                  Agreed. I think a cradle is a great idea. We just decided not to weigh them and fuel the speculations (lies) after the trip.

Comment

Not meaning to pick on anyone, we have all done it. We pulled out my little digital scale on the 20 pounder when I was there couple weeks ago. I just make a practice of doing that as quickly as possible.
                    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Thomas, sounds like you need the 65lb boga's... Although I have caught a Black Drum that bottomed out that scale too

Excellent catch on a fly too! How long was the fight?
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Holy Crap that is a pig Thomas!
                        sigpic
                        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

My Biggest on Fly to date!!!!!!! Southern Louisiana

Good fish but sounds like someone else did it first , I say you weigh your fish how you please it's yours right !
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

We only weighed two fish while we were there. One that we knew was under 30, to get an ideal of length vs weight and this big red because he was the first fish we felt was over 30#s.

I usually dont have any reason to weigh bulls, because we dont know if it will hurt them or not, but in my mind it will if you do it for to much time etc etc. However, this being on fly made me want to measure him and see if he was indeed over 30#s.

The idea of a scale to step on is a good idea, but in the end does it really matter if we weigh them or not.. Not to me that much, so chances are i wont.

On another note, when fishing with clients anytime a big red that size is caught, they always want to know what kind of weight..

So maybe a cloth sling? that can then be held up with the boga would work?

I think that would be pretty easy to make actually.

As for doing it first or last, Between my buddies steve and scott ... I spent more and more time wanting to fly fish, and forced myself to pull out the fly rod when down in this part of louisiana.... We caught well over 100 fish, with most being 10#s or more and caught enough on fly to satisfy my new addiction.... I just rarely have anyone poling me around so i can make good fly casts lol

Kaylin also got to do some fly fishing on this trip and caught her first 3 reds ever on fly, and all were over 30"....

She is blazae about it.. Myself, Now i want to go after ling, tarpon,trout , and anything big on fly lol

Thomas
                            Capt. Thomas Barlow
                            281-827-6815
                            www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Cant beat that...And on a fly!!!good job
                              "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Working...
                              X