11-21-2014 lake sabine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-21-2014 lake sabine

I took my kayak last friday to lake sabine and launched on the louisiana side . A little sprinkle getting my waders on but there after it was partly cloudy , se wind 10-15 mph , clear water , low tide about 8:30 am then strong incoming , major feeding period 10:30 am to 12:30 pm . I stayed on a lee shore and it was a nice day to be flounder fishing .
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29775[/ATTACH]
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

CONTINUED

I fished 2-3 feet of water with a mud bottom . My first flounder was a dink male which was released . My next fish was my best at 21 inches , 4 pounds . After a while i netted a 19 inch and 17 inch flounder .
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29777[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29778[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29779[/ATTACH]
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

CONTINUED

Flocks of gulls were working about 70 yards away while fishing . After those three keeper flounder , i couldn't stand it any longer and pulled anchor and paddled out to the nearest flock . I pitched a yozuri imitation shrimp under them in three or four feet of water and caught this flounder ( i posted it mistakenly in the above write up ) . I was surprised expecting trout or reds . It was the only fish i got from the flock . I wonder if the flounder were pushing up bait ? [ATTACH=CONFIG]29780[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29781[/ATTACH]i've never heard of them doing that . It was either that or he was an opportunistic feeder at the right place and time .

Comment

CONTINUED

I went back closer to shore and moved around periodically . I hammered away at them all day . I lost three but recaught and landed the third lost fish by working the area where he got off .
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]29782[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29783[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29784[/ATTACH]

Comment

CONTINUED

I talked to this guy . He had a nice 20 plus inch flounder and three back drum with dead shrimp and cut mullet on the bottom .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29785[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29786[/ATTACH]

Comment

Alright Henry!!
            Glad you got on the flounder. Those flatties look nice and thick. That 21" is sweet.

Comment

CONTINUED

Here are some pictures to show the water clarity and sky . Water temperature was 58 degrees with a hand held thermometer .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29789[/ATTACH]

Comment

CONTINUED

I read an article last month which mentioned these stand up jigs for fresh water fishing . I thought they would be good for flounder fishing where you would drag it along the bottom and not have it snag on something as easily as a swimming jig . It's the second time i've used them and i think it's the way to go . The tail of your bait is higher and waving around for better visibility . This jig is by owner hooks and has the best broad , flat base for this application . The lil john plastic i soaked in gulp juice and shortened it .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29790[/ATTACH]

Comment

END

I got my 10 flounder limit , a couple 14 1/2 " , 4 16-16 1/2 " , 2 17 " , 19 ", 21 " . For my 10 th one i threw a paul brown peanut and caught my last fish on the first cast around 4 pm . It was a great day !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29791[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29792[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29794[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29795[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29796[/ATTACH]

Comment

Nice! Good to head over and get a good haul. You keep a LA limit or the TX limit shown?

I did a quick wade in the GSC and zero'ed this morning. Very slow for everyone there.

Comment

I have a Louisiana license and launch on the Louisiana side . I kept the 10 . It's been a long time since I had a 10 flounder limit .

Comment

Another great Sabine trip and write up. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Nicely done Henry.
                          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

You and your row boat........flounder tonight on the half-wit, er...half-shell! Way to go Henry!!!! Thanks for the report and awesome pix, my friend. Now let's go get some trout....Your boat still in the hospital?
                            Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Excellent report and pics., as usual. Congrats on the 10fish limit! Is that the bridge on the south end of Lake Sabine that goes to Cameron? Man, that sure has changed for the better!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X