Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the pelican castaway yaks that bad?

Castaway I had was too unstable for my taste. (round bottom) Took it back and traded for Malibu, much better. I spent too much time focusing on not dumping the castaway, decided it was worth a $150 more to enjoy myself.

Thanks a lot Wiggy

The best way to buy the right kayak is to try different ones first. One opton is renting and trying for a day, this does cost a little more in the big picture, but you won't be stuck with one already purchased that you may not like. Also you can find some places such as FTU that has a tank and will let you try them out for free (they will even carry it out to the tank for you. This is not the same as fishing out of one, but you can test for stability.

are you getting one after your truck is fixed ??? if so we'll go down to ftu and try them out im ready for one to
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Yes very shortly sambo

Got one you can try. Shoot me a PM if interested.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

I started out with a Pelican (my wife and I that is). It did the job. We were testing the waters and seeing if it was something we really wanted to invest money in or if it was just gonna be a waste of time. We loved kayak fishing. We have since upgraded to Ocean Kayaks. I have the Trident Ultra 4.7, and my wife has the Trident 11. They both handle great. You have to decide if you want to drop the money now or later on these. As someone had said, you can check them out at Austin Canoes and Kayaks in Houston. They have great prices, excellent people, and all kinds of goodies to fix up your yak. Good luck..