Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1893 Wagon Bridge Update/Ref 2/16/12

Usaflag 1893 Wagon Bridge Update/Ref 2/16/12

I crossed the Gal causeway around 9:00 a.m. Thursday 12/13/12 and because of an extra low tide I was able to see most of the 1893 old wagon bridge concrete supports that are visible on Flash Earth when they are under water on normal tides. They were visible on both sides of the ICW.

Bonito

Cool. Wish I'd seen it.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

I know this is from "the other site," but this is a good thread with good pics that everyone who fishes west bay needs to see!

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=476378
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Thanks very much for the reply XtremeAngler, those were some of the best pictures I have ever seen! I posted a reply and some comments on the other site as (Surguy).

Bonito

Those pictures from TOS are pretty cool.

I just looked on Google Earth and if you go back in time to Jan, 2006 you can seem them very clearly. It's a wonder I have ran into one of those. I never knew they were there. I'm feeling very appreciative of this post! Thanks guys.

Default 1893 Wagon Bridge

Thanks for the reply. I too crossed that area countless times over the years (decades) and can't believe I did not hit one. Coming from the South Deer Island area returning to the causeway camp for years I lined up on the trees and big freeway sign where the land ends and the causeway starts and that is where the first pilings start. I also remember one time about 2011 leaving the ramp at the causeway camp, then running parallel to the causeway toward the ICW and then when about halfway turning left about 45 degrees to try a new area, I really got lucky that time, and my boat is not a tunnel hull. Also I did not know that you can look at Google Earth and choose the date. How do you do that?

Thanks again for the interest,

Bonito

Usaflag

Do you ever think about going back to that time and cruise around in your boat . All your land marks would be gone , tons of fish , crabs and such . That would be so fine .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Default 1893 Wagon Bridge

I never thought of that, it would be interesting.

I never thought of that but it sure stirs the instincts. If you view the old bridge pilings on google Earth and start at the mainland end and follow it to the Galveston end you can see the last piling is about even with where the causeway hits land. I wonder if the land came out that far in those days? (1893)

Bonito

If you view the