Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New yak

Usaflag

This was in a 14 foot perception.
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Most kayaks are different in their stability. Some have primary and some have better secondary stability.

Never owned a pelican.

Kinda like skiing. Keep your weight centered over the kayak and you should be fine.

Sudden movements or trying to reach into the back tw tend to get people off center.

Another thing... Once the weather gets nice, do a dedicated trip just to play in some moderately-sized surf. No gear, just you, kayak, paddle. You will learn the limits of your yak really quick, and gain more rough water experience than you would have in a year in the bays. Plus it's pretty dang fun to haul azz back to the beach riding a wave with water shooting up your scuppers from the speed.

Thats excellent advice. I have actually taken out a new kayak during the summer for the purpose of making it fail just so I would know what the limit of it's stability was. You will probably be surprised both in how much it takes and in how sudden it goes when you do reach that limit.