Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish in the lights

Default Fish in the lights

Just wanted to report that we had solid fishing in the canal lights at Sea Isle over the past Easter weekend. This was the first trip for me in over a month so I dont know how long they have been there.

Question, it seems like everytime we catch a fish we spook them and it takes 30 minutes to an hour for them to come back. Any suggestions on how to keep them in the area after you catch one??

Default Fish in the lights

I've always fished the edges of lights and that seems to spook them less, but I've only fished with above water lights. I think the i underwater lights are different.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

I've had fish in my lights at Jamaica Beach for a couple weeks now. I've thrown everything in my box at them and can't get em to bite. Wish I had your problem. Ha!

It depends on the fish. Sometimes they are super spooky, and sometimes you could probably throw a rock in the middle of the light and they wouldn't care. My tips would be:

1. Throw to the outer edges like Bruce said.
    2. When you hook up, crank down on the fish and lead them away from the light so they don't disrupt the school.
    3. Burn your bait through the light and slow down outside of it. Especially with glow baits, fish will follow bait out and attack it in the darkness.

In the event that the fish disperse:

1. Move around to other lights and fish those. Usually you can make a circuit and eventually come back.
    2. If that is not possible, drink a beer.
    3. If they haven't come back yet, drink another beer.
    4. Start doing a fish dance and drink fish.
    5. Jump into beer and throw light at fish.
    6. Repeat unless arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct.

This one was caught in the lights a couple of years ago.
    20130501_004555.jpg
    Resident Ninja

Got it. I have overhead lights which I perfer over green lights and we try to fish the outside of the lights but bringing them to the surface always is disruptive when fishion from the second story deck. What I need to do is get gorund level and lead them to the darkness and keep them underwater until I yank them out.

Free lining shrimp was the ticket last weekend.

Try small tandem jigs: deadly in the lights!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

I fish the lights a lot & have one at my house & watched the fish & have figured out pretty much anytime you hook up your goin to spook the fish but have also learned to let them take it & let them swim outside the light before cranking down on them! They're still goin to take off little but will come back quicker! Good luck bud
    Stay Bowed Up!

Northwest Houston w/ House in Jamcia Beach

I have underwater lights in Jamaica Beach and the fish and bait started showing up the weekend before Easter. Every fish caught usually disrupts them for 15 to 20 minutes, I agree with the "drink a Beer" theory. The best bait is free lined live shrimp, (4 keeper trout last Saturday night) second: free line live finger mullet (deadly on reds at the edge of the light), best results for artificial has been small Glow tandem jigs, or a 4" Yum Dinger bass lure (watermelon/Chart tail) with just the single worm hook for a natural free falling presentation. The only problem with live bait is when the hardheads show up!

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I've always fished the edges of lights and that seems to spook them less, but I've only fished with above water lights. I think the i underwater lights are different.
    Correct
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

I've had good luck with the Mr Twister 3" shad. Usually in a pearl white but glow or clear/metal flake work too.