Thread: DOA shrimp on Carancahua reef

Default DOA shrimp on Carancahua reef

Hello all,

New to fishing Galveston, we mainly fish West bay out of a 21'.

We fished the south and west sides of Carancahua reef (right outside Jamaica beach) on DOA shrimp for several hours and got zero bites last week, thought it was kind of odd?

DOA shrimp (glow in the dark) on cork about 3' down.
    Also tried the darker red/black color with no luck.

Any suggestions for improving our luck on trout in West Bay? All advice is welcome, thanks much...

That reef can be hit or miss, did you fish the areas by the old intercoastal? If you fished it for 30 minutes with no bites it was probably time to move on. I'd focus back in the coves and bayou drains, perhaps move down to Confederates Reef closer to the deep water.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Quote Originally Posted by WestEndAngler View Post
    That reef can be hit or miss, did you fish the areas by the old intercoastal? If you fished it for 30 minutes with no bites it was probably time to move on. I'd focus back in the coves and bayou drains, perhaps move down to Confederates Reef closer to the deep water.
    Thanks for the info. Haven't heard of Confederates reef. I did some googling and marked what I think is it? Can you confirm?

Also re: coves, i've heard Chocolate Cove is too shallow most times. Is it fair to say an 18" draft 21' with no trolling motor will be OK during a rising tide in Choc Cove? Not scared to get out and push, been there before....

Name:  confedreef.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  29.3 KB

That is Confederate in the pic you posted. Just look for all the boats, lol.
    Chocolate can be interesting to run in any boat if you don't have a good good that has all the reefs marked on it.
    He was referring to the south shoreline coves. They can all produce at times.

Chip

Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17