Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Light?

That little orange one will make you legal, but its still gonna be very hard to see. Yes, you want any light to be at least above your head.

I've been meaning to make one too. I'm probably gonna rig it up for 12v and use the same batteries that I gig with.

Kudos on you for trying to be safe, that's one thing that a lot of folks (waders too) don't do. If I am out at night I generally stick really close to the bank, and flash my light around before crossing any channels. You still need to have your wits about you. One time you need to be extra careful is when paddling into the wind at night. It would be really hard to hear a boat coming from behind you (wind blowing sound away), and you wouldn't be facing it to see.

I don't know if this is leagal or not but I have actually bought the red and green chemicl stick lights and mounted them on my yak for evening trips. I know the boats can see them because I used one to flag a guy down.

also I mounted the green one of the end of an extra rod tat I had vertically in a holder.

Hard to beat the ARC light. Got my first set 6 -7 years ago. Before most people had the Walmart light with the 2 d cell batteries but it would certainly make a great fish club.

Rem with the suction cup you are not legal as the light has to be seen from 360 and that low it cannot bee seen from all directions.

That said I am not sure kayaking that a 10,000,000 candle power light will be noticed by some boaters.

When I used to kayak all the time I had two pieces of PVC that were connected with a straight connector and a second connector with the inside turned on one end so the ARC light would slide tight inside the coupling. This dropped into my rod holder on the back of my seat and extened over my head for a foot or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
    Same, same...
    I use the battery LED light sticks ($5 or so) that you see at Academy or Homedepot and insert it in PVC pipe. I then also, use an LED hat brim clip light.
    These work great. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee on the batteries and at $5 if you destroy it in the salt it's easy to replace. I took off the colored end and flipped over the light bulb. This allows the white tube to fill with light. I mounted it in a piece of 3-4' long PVC...1/2" I think?

Check this out?
    http://www.fishwestend.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2574_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Puckett View Post
    Check this out?
    Exactly how I do mine! Except I let mine sit inside the PVC because I have lost a few from broken rubber bands & zip ties.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Thats how mine is, It works great.
    -Barton

Careful, the one on the right is gonna shine straight up and will be hard to see from the angle that other boats are gonna be looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkjug View Post
    Careful, the one on the right is gonna shine straight up and will be hard to see from the angle that other boats are gonna be looking.
    There is another pic that we should post. The blue flshlight has a ping pong ball with a hole drilled in it glued to the light housing. You cant see it in this pic cause its so bright.
    -Barton