Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first timer

Welcome aboard!

Not a good place to begin exploring without someone that knows their way around.
    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Poonchum
    When leaving launching at KOA, stay hard against Anchor Dr. side of channel until you reach cold pass.
    Study current arial photos of pass area. Use polarized glasses, I perfer amber tint. You need a push pole. A folding army shovel and two anchors with line.
    Watch water surface. In a 10mph wind, shallows will have a ripple on surface. Channel will show waves. Water color can mean a great deal also.
    Use compass and gps. Keep headings. Soon you will know your way around. Till it changes next.

Met up with Poonchum at the ramp on Saturday morning. His boat was filling up with water. Seems it developed a crack or something. So he jumped into my skiff with me and VJER. I took him to the camp and unloaded everything, showing him the channel in Titlum-Tatlum. We sat around admiring the day for a while and allowing it to warm up a bit. Then we set out. I took him around Cold Pass and we fished the T-pier to little affect. Water was super clear and very low. I then showed him Churchill into Christmas and back around to Christmas point into Bastrop Bay. We did a lot of exploring and had a bunch of fun. Time got away from us a bit visiting some guys at a camp at Christmas Point. I had wanted to show him around Bird Island and the way out the Pass and into West Bay, but we'll have to do that side another time.

Hope you get that boat taken care of Aaron. Until then, you're welcome out with me anytime. - Sandy
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Thanks again for your hospitality Sandy. It looks like when I was pushing into the sand bars a couple weeks back, sand worked its way into the seems in the bottom of the boat and broke free a couple leaks. I've taken 5200 and temporarily healed my boats scars. I'm going back out today or tomorrow to see if the leaks have quit and if the reds have stacked up waiting for my return. Dead shrimpers and gulps will start the feeding frenzies.

I'll be out and about this weekend. Stop on by.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Made it out for an hour before dark, fished the edge of a channel, two rat reds... super sweet! Boat didn't take on water, didn't get stuck anywhere, and two fish? major progress