NL Central Predictions 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Central Predictions 2011

OK lads and lasses, after the Super Bowl this weekend, we'll have to endure an entire week with zero interesting sports on anywhere. But pitchers and catchers are due to report soon and with the Saints out of the playoffs for the last several weeks, I've been thinking only of baseball. I just couldn't wait until after the Super Bowl to get everyone's picks.

Now last year I was only off by one, as the Reds swapped places with the Cards. There have been lots of new additions, most particularly in Milwaukee, so here are my picks for this season:

1. Cards
    Starting pitching more solid than I've ever seen it. Oddly, the old Card defense is suspect this year though. They'll need the closer to make it down the stretch and the left side of the infield has the hot corner man coming off surgery on both feet and a recycled coonarse Cub manning the hole. They have the best 1-2 punch in both pitching Carpenter-Wainright)and hitting (Pujols-Holliday) in the division.

2. Reds
    I'm more than tempted to move these guys down to 3 given the sick amount of luck and late inning wins they had last year, but you can't argue with the job Jocketty has done here. Will Vatto have another MVP season? (Will he spike someone else in the head during a scrum?) Will the young pitchers come through? Lot of questions, but these guys are unquestionably contenders. Jocketty makes a lot happen, but Dusty Baker????? He'll find a way to muck it up.

3. Brew Crew
    Many may disagree with me here, and to a certain degree, I almost disagree with myself. With the addition of Grienke and others, the Crew has made a big improvement in the pitching game. Their bullpen is most suspect, though the lineup can just plain mash.

4. Small Bears
    The proverbial underachievers of the 20th century have squandered yet another decade of promise and talent. Classless "Leaders" like Zambrano will likely get you nowhere fast. It was enough to put Sweet Lou in the baseball grave. They're too talented to make it into the cellar and just plain not good enough to do anything else.

5. 'Stros
    I can't say I've paid much attention, but with the team up for sale, they seem to be standing pat. The only reason they won't be cellar dwellers is I think the young kids have some spunk. The sad part is this is where they should have been several years ago, but they could have gotten a good deal of prospects for what they had in Oswalt/Berkman at the time. Spunk can do a lot, but it's tough when it's got to make up for talent. Who knows where they would be at this point had they done the smart thing back then.

6. Bucs
    The Pirates are expected to contend for the NAIA crown this year. Naw, they couldn't even do that. Howard Payne has a better chance. I find it very difficult to write anything serious about these guys.

So let's hear y'all's picks.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Sweet! Another hardball fan like myself...live for it

Better keep an eye on those Reds bud...The if factor in St Louis is going to be the injury bug as they are older still BUT will go into the market and trade to replinish the need...unless it is Albert as he is repsonsible for what 50% of their RBI's? You are right about the top of the rotation but again I point to the Reds...Arroyo you can write down 200 innings now...Volquez should be completely recovered from Tommy John now (wasnt ready last summer) and Homer and Cueto will be a horses this year as they are what, third year SP's now...the bullpen will be solid as well especially if the Cuban can control that 105 fastball as a set up man...I have the Reds on top...like how young they are. I agree with your rundown but I have flipped Cincy and St Louis.

Obviously Phili is team to beat in the east and I think the Rocks take the west.

AL I have Halo's, White Sox, and BoSox as division winners
    sigpic

Comment

As long as we beat the cards I hope pujols has a flat!! And Berkman is a has been! Go Astros and the youngsters
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Think you prob. nailed it sandy. Although i would really like to see the 'stros young kids do better, they need pitching bad. They have a bunch of problems. cards sux, cubs sux. haha small bears
        "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Swap the Astros and brewers
          "Put that Bill Dance hookset on em"

Comment

Originally posted by RockFish11 View Post
            Think you prob. nailed it sandy. Although i would really like to see the 'stros young kids do better, they need pitching bad. They have a bunch of problems. cards sux, cubs sux. haha small bears
            Keep in mind with our rotation that Happ is just starting with only 44 starts under his belt...BUT in those he has a 3.15ish era and a 2 to 1 K to BB...that's pretty solid. Wandy has learned to control his emotions and Myers seems to do better away from the spotlight...so all in all IF Norris can pitch .500 we should have a nice young rotation...if he falters then bring up the 20 year old!!!!!!!!!JORDAN LYLES!!!!!! This kid will be awesome to watch
            sigpic

Comment

go astros cant wait!
              Last edited by dbarham; February 2, 2011, 07:44 PM.
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
                Keep in mind with our rotation that Happ is just starting with only 44 starts under his belt...BUT in those he has a 3.15ish era and a 2 to 1 K to BB...that's pretty solid. Wandy has learned to control his emotions and Myers seems to do better away from the spotlight...so all in all IF Norris can pitch .500 we should have a nice young rotation...if he falters then bring up the 20 year old!!!!!!!!!JORDAN LYLES!!!!!! This kid will be awesome to watch
                hell yeah, call him up!
                "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Spring training starts
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Looks like the Cardinals just got worse. Wainwright sent home from Spring Training with an elbow industry. Looks like it is bad enought that it may result in Tommy John surgery. From runner up to the Cy Young to missing at least a year is tough on any team.

Comment

I predict the Rays will sweep the Stros this season!!

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
                        I predict the Rays will sweep the Stros this season!!
                        rays gonna be good this year for sure! I hope they kick the chit outta the yanks! not the stros!
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

We are hedging our bets on the old guys. Pitching will be a little worse, but hitting will be better.

Comment

our bullpen took a hit

Comment

Hickey can handle it he is great astros will never replace him...
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X