Topwater Bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topwater Bite

My buddy Maurice said he has been on some good fish so he dragged me out this am for a quick wade. This was only my 3rd trip of the year. (hard to believe huh?) We got in the water about daylight in some good mud/shell mix and saw quite a bit of bait flipping. Wind was humping at 22 when we got in the water and slowed down to about 10 later on.
    I waded a big flat and got the first blow up about 30 minutes into the wade while I (As usual) wasn't paying attention and the fish almost pulled the rod out of my hands before pulling loose immediately. I caught a few on the flat to 22" after I finally found the right color(pink). I made my way over to a drop off and the tide was ripping bait through. First cast over the drop I had a big trout (25+) jump completely over my topwater without touching it. I had about 12-14 more blow ups without hooking up while standing there and then changed to a corky. First cast had a big thump, but she missed and that was the only bite, so I switched back to the top and made my way back across the flat.
    Maurice ran over and picked me up. He had caught 2 17" & 26" (released) and we headed to a small reef. No bait so after about 5 minutes he said lets move. About 2 seconds later I had a HUGE trout jump completely over my topwater without touching it again so he said we better stay. He caught a nice red and then nothing for about 30 minutes so we moved back to spot 1 to see if there was any action going. Nothing happening there and it was time to go. At work before noon after a great topwater wade. Sure is good to see a nice topwater bite starting again and nice to be on the water again!

sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Sweet! Great report. Topwater blowups are the best.

Comment

Nice. I can't wait until Sunday!!

Comment

You were long overdue Chip!Good to see a thread from you.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

WTG Chip!! Nice report!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Bout time you got back on em'... Just what the doctor ordered........... Saltwater theropy... Gotta luv it...
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

wtg Chip nice report.

Comment

You know Chip is back when the topwater bite is on. Way to go Reedeeeeerrrr!

Comment

Now all is right in the world....
                  Chip is back up on the board
                  and it ain't freezin. No more!!!
                  Congrats hamma
                  Captain Glenn Stevens
                  Coastal Guide Service
                  www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Great report, Hammer! There's nothing like fishing tops!!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

What's this about dragging you out? RIGHT!

Sounds like a great time to me. Good job!
                      Scott
                      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Nice report! Pink sure does do the trick sometimes. Hope they will still be hitting tops this weekend.

Comment

Very nice Chip.It's good to see your out on the water.That topwater bite is here.With this little cool front that's pushing off today,this weekend should set up great for those spooks.
                          TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

WTG Chip!!!!
                            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Maurice is a great guy he has taught me everything i know topwater fishing.Iam going to fish with him on Monday and looking forward to it.His fish fry is next Saturday at Hope Village.

Comment

Working...
                              X