Getting technical after the harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting technical after the harvest

I lifted this from another Flounder forum and wanted to share here. This is something I've never given much thought to but my try some aspects of it.

POSTMORTEM CHANGES IN FISH

5.1. Sensory changes
    5.2. Autolytic changes
    5.3. Bacteriological changes
    5.4. Lipid oxidation and hydrolysis

5.1 Sensory changes

Sensory changes are those perceived with the senses, i.e., appearance, odour, texture and taste.

Changes in raw fresh fish

The first sensory changes of fish during storage are concerned with appearance and texture. The characteristic taste of the species is normally developed the first couple of days during storage in ice.

The most dramatic change is onset of rigor mortis. Immediately after death the muscle is totally relaxed and the limp elastic texture usually persists for some hours, whereafter the muscle will contract. When it becomes hard and stiff the whole body becomes inflexible and the fish is in rigor mortis This condition usually lasts for a day or more and then rigor resolves. The resolution of rigor mortis makes the muscle relax again and it becomes limp, but no longer as elastic as before rigor. The rate in onset and resolution of rigor varies from species to species and is affected by temperature, handling, size and physical condition of the fish (Table 5.1).

The effect of temperature on rigor is not uniform. In the case of cod, high temperatures give a fast onset and a very strong rigor mortis. This should be avoided as strong rigor tensions may cause gaping, i.e., weakening of the connective tissue and rupture of the fillet.

It has generally been accepted that the onset and duration of rigor mortis are more rapid at high temperatures, but observations, especially on tropical fish show the opposite effect of temperature with regard to the onset of rigor. It is evident that in these species the onset of rigor is accelerated at 0°C compared to 10°C, which is in good correlation with a stimulation of biochemical changes at 0°C (Poulter et al., 1982; Iwamoto et al., 1987). However, an explanation for this has been suggested by Abe and Okuma (1991) who have shown that onset of rigor mortis in carp (Cyprinus carpio) depends on the difference in sea temperature and storage temperature. When the difference is large the time from death to onset of rigor is short and vice versa.

Rigor mortis starts immediately or shortly after death if the fish is starved and the glycogen reserves are depleted, or if the fish is stressed. The method used for stunning and killing the fish also influences the onset of rigor. Stunning and killing by hypothermia (the fish is killed in iced water) give the fastest onset of rigor, while a blow on the head gives a delay of up to 18 hours (Azam et al., 1990; Proctor et al., 1992).

The technological significance of rigor mortis is of major importance when the fish is filleted before or in rigor. In rigor the fish body will be completely stiff; the filleting yield will be very poor, and rough handling can cause gaping. If the fillets are removed from the bone pre-rigor the muscle can contract freely and the fillets will shorten following the onset of rigor. Dark muscle may shrink up to 52 % and white muscle up to 15 % of the original length (Buttkus, 1963). If the fish is cooked pre-rigor the texture will be very soft and pasty. In contrast, the texture is tough but not dry when the fish is cooked in rigor. Post-rigor the flesh will become firm, succulent and elastic.

Table 5.1 Onset and duration of rigor mortis in various fish species

Species Condition Temperature °C
    Time from death to onset of rigor (hours)

Time from death to end of rigor (hours)

Redfish (Sebastes spp.) Stressed

Japanese flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus)

>72

Whole fish and fillets frozen pre-rigor can give good products if they are carefully thawed at a low temperature in order to give rigor mortis time to pass while the muscle is still frozen.

The sensory evaluation of raw fish in markets and landing sites is done by assessing the appearance, texture and odour. The sensory attributes for fish are listed in Table 5.2. Most scoring systems are based upon changes taking place during storage in melting ice. It should be remembered that the characteristic changes vary depending on the storage method. The appearance of fish stored under chilled condition without ice does not change as much as for iced fish, but the fish spoil more rapidly and an evaluation of cooked flavour will be necessary. A knowledge of the time /temperature history of the fish should therefore be essential at landing.

The characteristic sensory changes in fish post mortem vary considerably depending on fish species and storage method. A general description has been provided by the EEC in the guidelines for quality assessment of fish as shown in Table 5.2. The suggested scale is numbered from 0 to 3, where 3 is the best quality.

The West European Fish Technologists' Association has compiled a multilingual glossary of odours and flavours which also can be very useful when looking for descriptive words for sensory evaluation of freshness of fish (Howgate et al., 1992 (Appendix C).

Changes in eating quality

If quality criteria of chilled fish during storing are needed, sensory assessment of the cooked fish can be conducted. Some of the attributes for cooked fish and shellfish are mentioned in Table 5.2. A characteristic pattern of the deterioration of fish stored in ice can be found and divided into the following four phases:

Phase 1 The fish is very fresh and has a sweet, seaweedy and delicate taste. The taste can be very slightly metallic. In cod, haddock, whiting and flounder, the sweet taste is maximized 2-3 days after catching.
    Phase 2 There is a loss of the characteristic odour and taste. The flesh becomes neutral but has no off-flavours. The texture is still pleasant.
    Phase 3 There is sign of spoilage and a range of volatile, unpleasant-smelling substances is produced depending on the fish species and type of spoilage (aerobic, anaerobic). One of the volatile compounds may be trimethylamine (TMA) derived from the bacterial reduction of trimethyl-aminoxide (TMAO). TMA has a very characteristic "fishy" smell. At the beginning of the phase the off-flavour may be slightly sour, fruity and slightly bitter, especially in fatty fish. During the later stages sickly sweet, cabbage-like, ammoniacal, sulphurous and rancid smells develop. The texture becomes either soft and watery or tough and dry.
    Phase 4 The fish can be characterized as spoiled and putrid.
    Table 5.2 Freshness ratings: Council Regulation (EEC) No. 103/76 OJ No. L20 (28 January 1976) (EEC, 1976)

Criteria
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

As a scientist who deals with a number of dead flounder, all I can add is that....

In my observations, it is easier to fillet a flounder once it has been iced. If said icing procedure results in an oddly-bend flounder, bending in the opposite direction and flexing the flounder can relax the position.

Filleting should occur as soon as possible, as the flesh begins to lose quality after 2 or so days on ice.

That is all.

Comment

I too have performed countless autopsy's of said species weither limp or had to bend a rigor mostis fish straight, I never gave it much thought but seriously I can say that 90% of the fish I've eaten has been outstanding with firm sweet flesh but occasionaly I do come across a fish fry in wich the meat seems mushy and the taste is not up to par. I bet it is post rigor fish that has set in ice to long even though there is no sign of spoilige.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
        I too have performed countless autopsy's of said species weither limp or had to bend a rigor mostis fish straight, I never gave it much thought but seriously I can say that 90% of the fish I've eaten has been outstanding with firm sweet flesh but occasionaly I do come across a fish fry in wich the meat seems mushy and the taste is not up to par. I bet it is post rigor fish that has set in ice to long even though there is no sign of spoilige.
        Or someone who froze a fish & then defrosted it under running water instead of in the fridge or just perhaps setting it out.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Fishing mostly from a kayak I have often had fish on my stringer for several hours before they see the ice chest. I have wondered how much this impacts the quality of the meat.

Also i have thawed fish in the sink with warm water when we are trying to come up with last minute dinner plans at home. Does this contribute to a "fishy" smell/taste or just affect the texture?

Im also going to post some of these questions in the general forum along with a few others.

Comment

Working...
          X