Wading in snake boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wading in snake boots?

I saw a fellow the other day coming out of the water wearing what looked like snake boots and I thought that was a pretty good idea. Anybody ever try it? Snake boots are cumbersome and I am sure heavy as heck when wet but I would think they would deter a stingray but I dont know.

Any thoughts???

I went to a CCA event a couple weeks back and the guide who was giving the presentation said that is what he wears. If I remember correctly, he hadn't been hit though so he didn't have 1st hand knowledge that they worked.

Comment

Sounds good enough for me

Comment

I use them and they are much lighter than the ray guard boots. I know a lot of guys that wear the Lacrosse snake boots but they don't make them big enough for me so I use the Irish Setter boots made by Red Wing. I don't think mine are made any longer though.
        You can get the Lacrosse boots at Marburgers.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I've heard of guys using them, but ive never heard of guys actually getting hit while snake boots and coming out ok. Until I do, I'll keep wearing the ray guards.
          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

A stingray barb is much bigger and hits with a lot more impact than a snake. Raygaurds or snake boots both are probably better than nothing!
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Work boots come in different styles and appearance. And many consumers prefer to have a pleasing look when it comes to their work boots. So, if you are looking for this kind of pair, this Danner Bull Run review might help you with your search.

I will never wear another pair of rayguard boots again, after wearing these...
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I want to wear lighter less cumbersome boots, but the snake boot manufacturer I emailed couldn't verify their effectiveness against ray barbs. If enough of us inquire, maybe they will test them and/or make some that are designed for the application. Oh happy day!

Snake fangs are much more delicate than a ray's barb. In my mind it's like a toothpick compared to an ice pick. Maybe I am wrong.

No doubt something is better than nothing.
                Scott
                "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

I have a pair of chippawas.I doubt a stringray could penetrate them.Who knows.One of the finest boots I have ever worn. Not quite ready to dunk em in the saltwater.
                  Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Wouldn't you just love to be the tester for stingray boots? Man...that'd be a sweet gig.
                    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

thats just like being a crash dummy... LOL I will take my chances in the Muck boots really who test stingray boots...?

Comment

They probably just test the pressure and strength of a ray striking an object than replicate it with a gun like object with shoots a barb like projectile. We could be product line testers though after they make it and all send us a pair and give them testimonial about it in exchange :P
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                          They probably just test the pressure and strength of a ray striking an object than replicate it with a gun like object with shoots a barb like projectile. We could be product line testers though after they make it and all send us a pair and give them testimonial about it in exchange :P
                          We were being sarcastic Jhua LOL... I don't really think they have a bunch of Aggies in an assembly line walking the gauntlet of rays… LMAO No pun intended GHS… Down boy

Comment

It's been a long day...haha
                            Resident Ninja

Comment

Does anyone remember that article in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine a while back? Some brave(dumb) soul decided to test out his ray guards against a pissed off ray in a kiddie pool. It didnt go through the test pilots ray guards.

Comment

Working...
                              X