Evening Wade- Did My Job :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening Wade- Did My Job :)

Took my cousin Amber for a round of fishing today. In the car she confidently said, "Jonathan, I want to beat you today. I will catch more fish and the biggest fish. Annnndd I will do it using your artificial lures." That took me by surprise. I looked at her and replied, "Amber, If you can do any of that, I will buy you McDonalds for dinner." Happily she replied, "DEAL!"

We went to the same spot last time. The rules were that any fish counted. Walked in and the wind wasn't that bad but the water visibility was 4-6 inches and a very sandy color. I started off using the new TTF Gundogs and they are amazing in terms of action and swim motion. Amber started with a D.O.A shrimp. We saw some mullet a ways off so we headed over in that direction. I switched to a 51mr and had a good thump but missed it. By this time, Amber was getting pretty impatient since nothing was taking the DOA Shrimp. She took my tackle box and went through it. She pulled out a small gold spoon and tied it on. With a fierce look in her eyes she casted with the wind and jigged it. She popped it twice and something hit it and she set the hook. First fish, a decent sized croaker. She proudly said, "1-0"

30 minutes later the score was 14-2. She had tuned into croakers, sand trouts, and a small flounder. I had two 9 in red fish. I had a few pride issues with this so I switched to gold spoon as well. I subsequently caught up and we were now around 20-20. The race was on.

The sun was setting fast and I decided that it was time to start wading back in. Amber had just pulled ahead and said "OK." A few minutes in a had a stroke of luck and while releasing a small sandie, i dropped my spoon in the water while I washed my hands and a small flounder (quite possibly the same one Amber caught earlier) hit. I pulled it up and smiled. I'm up by one now. By now we had lost count and were just trying to one up each other. She was reeling hers in and pulled up a decent sandie. "Now we are tied" We were about to reach shore and Amber made a beautiful cast. I had hooked up my spoon and was walking in. She made one pop and bam, the reel started screaming.

I was quite amused by this turn of fortune for Amber. Her eyes were wide with excitement as her rod bent over. In the distance I could see a swirl. She expertly kept the pressure on (I never taught her that) and she checked her drag. The fish then leaped a good 2 feet in the air. It was a large ladyfish. She furiously reeled in the line and as the lady fish got closer it made 3 or 4 more spectacular leaps. Finally Amber had won and pulled it along side her. I got the fish out and let it swim away.

Along back to the car she was jumping and excited. After packing up and in the car, she said, " I think I won!" All I said was "you sure did."

I feel quite accomplished today. We didn't catch a redfish or a trout, but taking amber out probably lists as one of the better memories I will have this summer.
    Resident Ninja

Way to take a kid fishing!!!! Nothing better than teaching them to fish!!
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

very good report best i have read in a long time..... good memories
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

You both won. That's what it's all about. Great read.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report & memories!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nothing like seeing a kid smile when fishing, WTG
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

One good read ,way to get out there and have some fun!!!!
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great Report! Thanks

Comment

Hey, that was a great read! thanks for taking the time to report.
                  Scott
                  "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

What a great thing you two have. Enjoyed the report A LOT.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X