Thursday Night 6-2-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Night 6-2-11

Late Thursday afternoon I looked at the tides and saw they were going to be quite low, so the urge got to me and I headed out. I am really not suppose to be doing this because the doctors are still trying to fix my lower back. I have been off work for over 6 months.
    The walk in and the spots I went to last summer didn't produce like they had in the past couple of years. So I decided to try a place that I had not been to in 25 years.
    I got in the water at sunset and the first 45 minutes I saw about 20 flounder, but they were all 11 to 13 inches. Also 3 small rays. After that I walked up on a sand bar that was not there before. What I found on the sand bar was mind boggling. There were flounder everyware as far as I could see. Problem was they were all 9 to 11 inches long. I walked the bar for about 30 minutes. There was a current flowing over it and I guess they were using it as an ambush spot. I kid you not, I counted over 50 fish and there must have been twice as many empty beds.
    At 10:30 I headed back to the truck. I saw 2 more 12" fish and 10 in the 5" to 6" range.
    I guess the good Lord didn't want me dragging a heavy stringer around because of my back, because when I got to the truck guess what was on the ground near the tailgate.
    MY STRINGER!!!!
    No harm to my back....I was wearing a back brace, but I had leg cramps all night after getting home.

Bummer, at least you got out though. Thanks for the report!
    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Thanks for report I would love to see those many fish

Comment

I can relate to your determination. I bet that was exciting to see all those juveniles and I have been hearing of more stories like this in that a major success has come from the last generation flounder.
        It should still be one more year before all these juveniles are big enough for harvest and to breed. Take it easy on your body now so you can look forward to more years of hunting later and thanks for the report.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
        X