Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Flounder Regs PASSED !!!

Flounder —
    The new regulations adopted by the TPW commission today are an attempt to reverse a long-term downward trend in the abundance of southern flounder.
    TPWD Coastal Fisheries Division data shows that the relative abundance of flounder has fallen by about 50 percent since the early 1980s.

The new regulation reduces the recreational bag limit from 10 to 5 fish, and the commercial bag limit from 60 to 30 fish.

Hook and line anglers will be permitted a 2 flounder daily bag limit during the month of November, with take by all other gear prohibited.

In short, no gigging in November
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Thanks for info Bryan. saw you name in Joe Kent's report on how to keep fish alive. Cool.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You should have heard him on the radio!! Sounding good Bryan!!

But WHEN do these new regulations take effect?
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Probably September when we have to renew liscences.

Too bad they banned gigging in Nov. but not R&R. I'm not upset though, 2 fish is a very prudent bag limit, and for every flounder I can't gig in Nov., I'll gig 3 all summer long

On a high note, I'll be limiting alot more

Comment

Hey nothing was said about walking with a lantern and a net like last year

Aww we'll have to have another bonfire

Comment

OUTDOORS: MIKE LEGGETT

TPWD commissioners to vote on proposals
            Thursday, March 26, 2009

Flounder fishing is going to change in Texas this year, but rod and reel anglers may not take as much of a hit as they once thought.

When Texas Parks and Wildlife commissioners vote today on an extensive package of hunting and fishing regulation changes for 2009-10, they'll be voting to reduce daily bag limits from 10 fish to five for recreational anglers and from 60 flounder to 30 for commercial fishermen. That's the same basic proposal that nearly 8,000 people addressed in their remarks during a public comment period this spring.

But in a reversal Wednesday, commissioners decided not to close the month of November to rod and reel anglers as had been proposed. November, a prime flounder spawning month and the time when the fish are moving and vulnerable to capture, would remain closed to flounder gigging, the main method of commercial fishing, however.

The result will be a significant increase in spawning fish in the future, said Coastal Fisheries spokesman Robin Riechers.

Most recreational anglers and members of the Coastal Conservation Association had been opposed to the rod and reel closure first proposed for flounder, which have had their populations damaged by incidental catch in shrimp nets, as well as habitat loss in some areas. Much of the flounder harvest in Texas takes place each October through December as adult fish leave bays and move through passes into the Gulf of Mexico to spawn.

Riechers said that coastal biologists believe that the additional rod and reel angling won't have a significant impact on spawning fish numbers, and that scientists still believe they'll be able to see the impact of reduced harvest due to lower daily limits within three years. The five-fish limit and 14-inch minimum size limit will remain in effect.
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              Hey nothing was said about walking with a lantern and a net like last year

Aww we'll have to have another bonfire
              You can just step on one, and then put a hook in its mouth and reel it in!

Comment

Good to see this. So what's the possession limit? I can see people at seawolf catching two, walking back to the the car, going back out and catch two more ect..

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                  Good to see this. So what's the possession limit? I can see people at seawolf catching two, walking back to the the car, going back out and catch two more ect..
                  If you ever see someone doing what TTU Wader just mentioned you should take a photo of there TX Numbers or License Plate and immediatly call it in to Operation Game Thief.

The number is printed on the back of everyone's fishing license... 1800-792-4263. You don't have to give your name etc.

Sometimes anglers don't know the limits or should wear signs that say "I'm stupid" don't be afraid to call out these anglers and say "hey if you put one more in that cooler I'm calling the game warden." Don't go trying to be a hero just grab a shot of the license plate, the offense, time it took place and any more evidence you may have.

Lets keep the fish population up for future generations!

Coe-

Comment

cool thanks for the update. I think the new regs seem pretty fair. I'm sure the commercial guys aren't real happy but it's something that needed to happen
                    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Five fish per person is not bad. Five flounder is alot of fish. I do feel sorry for my bud who gigs at night. He'll have to carry four people in his boat to get twenty fish. He always prides himself on gigging a hundred fish every year.
                      I have nothing against giggers except they always seem to test the limits. I can't remember the last trip when I caught twenty (two fishermen) on rod-n-reel, but when they go gigging...BAM they all get their limits...usually within two hours..
                      I guess I'm not a very good rod-n-reel angler, but I'll keep trying... If I catch five flounder, everyone here will see the pics for sure....
                      "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                      "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

I have no problems at all with the new regs. I only keep the ones that I catch if someone else wants them, if not, they go back.
                        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                          Alex....dude...that is not what a possession limit is....damn, is that why yall are commonly refered to as desert aggies?

Comment

I'm glad to see these changes take effect.

I know that some people may be bitter about this...the commercial guys especially...but if it's for the betterment of the species, then i'm all for it.

It'll be interesting to see what the data looks like on the population after this being in effect for a few years.
                            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Good deal!!!!!!!

AQUA PIMP
                              AQUA PIMP......
                              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Working...
                              X