Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering

I haven't used my boat much since Ike, only 3 times here lately. I've noticed the steering is alot stiffer than it was when I bought the boat last year. I greased the fittings at the steering guide tubes, but it didn't help. I looked at the steering gear box (inside the console) and noticed a small drop of oil on the outside of the housing. I also applied some marine lube to the steering linkages, still no help. Any advice will be much appreciated.

I doubt it is the steering gear box, but the linkage at the transom. I had the same issue with my kenner a few years ago. It would get to the point where I had to break it loose by moving the engine side to side manually. The steering got turned too hard one time and broke off a tooth in the gearbox. Try to lube the heck out of the guide tubes, get as much to go inside as possible. The grease points alone are not enough! The friction eventually caused a slight bend and had to have the steering cable replaced. About $200, not as bad as I expected.

Comment

Is it hydraulic or no feed back steering?
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

It is not hydraulic, at least I haven't seen any reservoir.
        My neighbor said he's heard of using some sort of dry lubricant (like graphite) at the cable ends where they hook up to the steering box. The graphite is supposed to work its way down the inside of the cable housing, thus lubricating it. Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Comment

Graphite is okay, but it only works on dry surfaces. Unless all the lube is off of the parts its will prob just make a mess. Since there is always gonna be saltwater splashing up there I would always use some sort of grease. Lithium grease works very well.

Comment

What you have is a safe T helm no feedback steering system. You'll have to disconnect the linkage from the motor and try to pull the steering rod out. Now see if the wheel will turn any easier with the cable out of the motor, if it does turn easier, you'll want to clean that tube out as good as you possibly can then take a grease gun and pump that sucker full of grease.If that doesn't do the trick you have to pull the whole cable. I'll let you try this 1st and if it doesn't work, I'll walk you thru the next step.

Comment

Yep, that is exactly what was wrong with mine. Corrosion on the cable creating friction on the sheath.

Comment

Thanks 007 and Unclehandy! I'll try what yall said this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll pick your brain some more. Thanks again!

Comment

I think 007 knows more about fixing it, I just remember having the same problem! But Im glad to give any input I can!

Comment

How do you keep the cables from getting corrosion on them? It would seem that since they are inside a sheath they would'nt get corroded in the first place. But I guess the saltwater has a way of getting in to unwanted places.

Comment

Originally posted by Bokey View Post
                      How do you keep the cables from getting corrosion on them? It would seem that since they are inside a sheath they would'nt get corroded in the first place. But I guess the saltwater has a way of getting in to unwanted places.
                      Welcome to saltwater fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                        Welcome to saltwater fishing.
                        I took a 3/8" dowell rod with some torn pieces of shop rags and some acetone to clean that tube out.

Comment

007, I have 2 steering guide tubes that hook up to my Johnson 150hp. They are in very clean and have no corrosion whatsoever on the outside. Are you saying the corrosion is on the inside of these guide tubes? When I take the linkage off at the motor and at the tube ends, do the tubes them come off exposing the cables inside?

Comment

Originally posted by Bokey View Post
                            007, I have 2 steering guide tubes that hook up to my Johnson 150hp. They are in very clean and have no corrosion whatsoever on the outside. Are you saying the corrosion is on the inside of these guide tubes? When I take the linkage off at the motor and at the tube ends, do the tubes them come off exposing the cables inside?
                            The rod that goes thru the motor is connected to the steering cable. The corrosion is on the inside of the tube that is on the motor itself. I had to beat my old one out. If you have to beat it out, have an angle grinder handy because you might mushroom the rod trying to get it out. It's ok to grind the edges of it to make sure it comes out of the motor. Just do it enough to clear the tube if necessary.

Comment

Thanks 007, now I understand. I was confusing the rod as being the tube. The rod slides through the tube which is part of the motor. I'm at work right now and not looking at my motor, but I looked at it pretty good last weekend. I assume the rods comes with the cables as an assembly.

Comment

Working...
                              X