468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8/22/11 - Surf report + Bull red on that spook jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/22/11 - Surf report + Bull red on that spook jr.

Report is from this morning in the surf @ 61st.

Visibility: Could see feet. Again.
    Wind: 5-10 mph
    Baits used: Spook jr.'s in bone and clown
    Time: 7am-11am

Report: Fishing was extremely slow today in the surf. We think the fish are pretty full from those post 2-3 days after the full moon. We made the best of a bad day though with a little unexpected surprise a little later.

Waded out @ 7am caught the first two trout right ankle high in front of flagship...if anyone is looking to fish the surf just know right now it's turning off VERY early around 7:45-8:00am. Get out there @ 5:45am or don't go - we got a late start.

Fished the spook jr. in clown off the start picked up 2 trout, 15in & 21 in. Bite COMPLETELY turned off @ 8am. Lots of blow-ups before then but trout acting skiddish today all caught on quick no pause retrieve. Went to bay - picked up a 15inch was just killing time until we hit the surf again so only fished 30 mins or so till 10am when the surf has been picking up on the second bite.

Threw a spook jr. in bone when it got CLOBBERED. Sounded like someone shot off a gun, went off hugest thud noise ever scared the daylights out of me - I was shaking lol. My first thoughts were - I have a curado 50e...my second thoughts were I have a curado 50e!!!

Kept calm then remembered I had just spooled the reel with 10 lb. test and was the first time I had taken it out. At least it was braid. Briefly freaked out again. Felt like a one hour fight but probably was around 30-45 minutes. Every time would get it close it would run out and re-spool me to the bone. Just tried to be big daddy and boss him in but he was having NONE of it. Finally after fighting him a total of 4 times right to the net he decided to give up. Curado 1 Bull Red 0.

Jhua netted for me and it was a 37 1/2 inch bull red on a spook jr. top. Since Moe taught me to throw tops I've been waiting for that to happen and was super amped! Don't ask me why just always wondered if it was possible to catch a big bull on a top-water and the rush is incredible.

I need a beer after that. We made the best of a bad day and more importantly we had fun. That's all that matters! Pics below...red with the bone spook still in it's mouth!! Trout were 15, 15 and 21.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-11 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	570104Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-11 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	570105Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-11 005.jpg
Size:	1,005.9 KB
ID:	570106Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-11 008.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	570107
    Last edited by ubermensch1324; August 22, 2011, 04:45 PM.
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Nice! I figured it was 33 :P
    Resident Ninja

Comment

great report uber. sounds like you learned very well from MOE the topwater spook master jedi. as you said, it's still a rush when one hits the spook. even better when they jump out of the water and inhale it when they come down. Lord Bless.
      robert
      And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
        Nice! I figured it was 33 :P
        Yeah just took a tape measure to it...out of the water it looked like 37 1/2 with the tail pinched but when I got it home it was 36 1/2". I think when they freeze and turn all sideways frozen they lose and inch or so...so I'm going with 37 1/2"! ha ha

Thanks for the trout - went ahead and gave it to Bo he's been cookin for his old lady like crazy...thought it was supposed to be the other way around!!!! Lol.
        I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Sweet!
          Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Wolf View Post
            great report uber. sounds like you learned very well from MOE the topwater spook master jedi. as you said, it's still a rush when one hits the spook. even better when they jump out of the water and inhale it when they come down. Lord Bless.
            robert
            Thanks Silver Wolf means a lot coming from you - still gotta make it out there 1 day.

And yes, I agree Moe is Spook Jedi Darth Vader...I am Luke skywalker in training lol.

Comment

Nice fish!

Comment

Awesome!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job!! I read Jhua's post and the photos do it proud! There's nothing like a good blowup to get the adrenaline going!
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great job uber...beautiful Redfish!

Comment

Nice fish Uber!...did you weigh it by chance? I was curious because last September or so I caught that Bull Red that's in my Profile Avatar..in my excitement I didn't get an accurate measure and have no clue what it weighed. I didn't tag him...released him back to make someone elses day in the future. Just wondered what yours weighed so I could guage mine....I ballparked mine at 36+ inches and stout...might have been longer. I caught mine on blue crab with a bigger set up than you...you had way more fun with your set up but I am sure we both had the same adrenaline rush. It took me 15-20 mins to get him in on 20lb test. I was geeked!

Comment

Let me know how that redfish is!
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

Great report!Great job on your first bull on top!Over the last three trip's to the surf all the trout have had nada in there stomach?Your are dead on about the early bite.
                          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Awesome report!

Comment

Originally posted by ryno1975 View Post
                              Nice fish Uber!...did you weigh it by chance? I was curious because last September or so I caught that Bull Red that's in my Profile Avatar..in my excitement I didn't get an accurate measure and have no clue what it weighed. I didn't tag him...released him back to make someone elses day in the future. Just wondered what yours weighed so I could guage mine....I ballparked mine at 36+ inches and stout...might have been longer. I caught mine on blue crab with a bigger set up than you...you had way more fun with your set up but I am sure we both had the same adrenaline rush. It took me 15-20 mins to get him in on 20lb test. I was geeked!
                              Man I have no idea what it weighed but it was a lot bigger than I thought when we got it in the net. Jhua was netting it and half of it was out about to fall out - I was like JHUA NO!! Lol. He actually did an amazing netting job think he only took one swipe!

I bet we both got a got a rush tho! I was geeked too trust me...This is a picture of what my face probably looked like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fatboy_reacts.gif
Views:	1
Size:	963.3 KB
ID:	555511 Click to see reaction
                              Last edited by ubermensch1324; August 22, 2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X