468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flyfishing 101 or why not to be a guide !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyfishing 101 or why not to be a guide !

Took out my nephew and his buddy for some flyfishing on Saturday.They had been wanting to go after watching some TV vidio of Reds on the fly.I told them that the reds around here are super spooky and sometimes very hard to approch and even catch on the fly.They had their equipment and I supplied the flies.I assumed that they could cast proficiently with it.We hit the flats with very little to no wind and I poled them into tailing pods, singles and cruisers all morning.We had fish all around us until we left at 1:30 pm.I must not have been a very good instructor/teacher because they never could get the fly out more than 20 ft much less do it with any accuracy.I was as frustrated at the end of the day as they were.Any thoughts of becoming a Flyfishing guide were dashed that day.If you want to hire a Flyfishing guide I would advise you to PRACTICE,PRATICE,PRATICE, both distance and accuracy.
    I went out on Sunday to the same area that I had poled on Saturday.The fish were still there but they wereew very nervious and jumpy.I had about 40 shots and could only hook and land two reds.
    Two frustrating days for different reasons.My fisherman were not young men they were in their 40's.
    SKIFFSTIFF

It's a whole different ball game when you find skittish reds. While kayaking, we found a pod of reds. First few casts, I hooked up with some slot reds by casting in front of the pod. My cousin glides over and throws his shrimp on a carolina rig right on top of the school scattering them and spooking them. No more fish for the day.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Welcome to my world Joe... It's always fun. Have spent a lot of days doing casting lessons on fishing trips. I end up teaching all sorts of things on the boat, what color sunglasses to wear, what a fish looks like in the water, what direction is 1 O'clock off the bow of the boat. Ect.....

It's always an experience, but rewarding when it all works out...
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
      X