Not West End, but fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not West End, but fish...

Last weekend I took a group of 12 guys and gals down to Matagorda for a little fishing retreat. We rented a nice little house on Caney Creek with a private lighted pier. It was great! The pier fishing was OK, not spectacular. All the sand trout you could want, and quite a few undersized specks and a couple 16" specks too. I saw a couple flounder boils, but couldn't entice them to bite.

On saturday morning (8/20) we went out with two different guides.

1) Capt. Gene (Living Waters Guide Service) picked up two fishermen at our dock and they chased reds and trout around the bay most of the day. They ended up with with 7 specks, 6 nice reds, 1 HUGE gafftop, and a couple whiting/sand trout. They caught about 35 specks, but only 7 landed 7 keepers. They also caught over 20 reds, all the same size, but obviously only retained 6. One guy on that boat was relatively new to fishing, and he let a couple specks and one nice red come unbuttoned.

Larry, Kevin, and their fish

Kevin with a keeper red and trout

2) Myself and two others drove over to Matagorda Marina and met Charlie Paradoski there... that guy can fish! We headed to the beach, but it was too rough to get out and wade. From sunup till about 9:30 we went from spot to spot on the beach, picking up a couple nice specks here and there. We FINALLY found a money hole and quickly limited out on 19"+ specks. Even found a couple nice sized reds running the sand bar. My favorite catch of the day was a pompano... we ended up with 2! I have never eaten on before, but man oh man it was AWESOME!!!! I want to go catch some more. All said and done, we caught exactly 30 specks (we didn't catch one single undersized speck all day!), 5 really nice reds (had 3-4 break offs on that school of reds), and 2 pomps. Back at the dock by noon. It was a great day!

Our catch, Craig, Myself, and John

Craig and his red

John and his red

My, my red and trout

One of the pompanos... my mouth is watering just looking at it

Nice catch!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Thanks, that was my personal best trout. Still looking to catch my first 20"+ speck. Don't know why but that seems to be my white whale nemesis....... just can't get him.

Comment

Great post!

I like the table shot with a pompano in the foreground and the background.

Comment

Nice catch and nice day. Just keep fishing that 20 in spec will come when u least expect it. what kind of texture was that pomp?
          I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small baby bird will fall frozen, dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself...

Comment

Very nice!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks guys

buoy- that is one of my favs as well!!!

rscott- The pomp was hard to describe, unlike anything I have eaten before. Filleting it, the meat was beautiful white and thick, like a hallibut or something. But it wasn't dense like most fish that have thick "steaks", the pompano fillets were soft. I cooked 1/2 of it just simply sautéed in a pan with a tiny bit of butter so it wouldn't stick, it was freaking amazing! The meat held together like a steak, wasn't flaky like most white fish- but it was soft in texture. It just melted in your mouth, barely had to chew..... Didn't have a strong fishy flavor, but was definitely a saltwater fish. Hard to describe, but when it hit the saute pan, the aroma it put off was like that fish being cooked in a high end restaurant.

I wan't to know how/where to go and target them specifically.

Comment

great report and pics. WTG. the smiles says it all. Lord Bless.
                robert
                And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Wow! What a table full!
                  Don't worry, you'll get that trout.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice fish!Tossing chickens or drowning mullet seems to be a good combination over there in Matty.You could'nt have picked a better guide(Paradoski),who knows about drowning those finfish.Some solid reds too.
                    TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Great report and I hope you catch a big trout on your next trip.

Comment

Awesome morning

David C. L'Heureux
                        ET2(SW/AW) USN RET
                        100% Disabled Veteran

Comment

Were you fishing in East Bay? We are going this weekend and plan to try the surf first too but if it is too crowded will have to head to ICW or the Bay.

Comment

We fished east Matagorda two Saturday's ago. Hope you guys find them too!

Comment

Working...
                            X