Netting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netting?

I know WEA was joking about this but I've given it a bit of thought...

What defines "gigging", the stabbing the flounder with a spear, or using a light at night?

Could one go out next November with a net and a light and scoop up flounder?

lol the limit would still probaly only be 2.

Comment

Thats a good question. I would think gigging is defined as stabbing the fish. Netting may not be a legal means of catching. Id have to look in the book, but usually its limited to hook and line or gigging I am thinking.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I think flounder aren't game fish so you could take them by castnets, gigs, use them as bait, etc. The new regs only state you can't gig them.

Comment

That is true, They are not game fish. So my understanding is you could wade at night with a light and net them, and would not have to uphold the new regs. You would get a lot of flak from this, but the regs only cover gigging flounder, correct? Lets go net some flatties!!
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

If you look closely on MudSkipper's post, now I'm not sure if its the word for word but it says or by any other means so that might cover "netting" not sure though... let the debate continue.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!! Haha

Semper Fi!

Comment

LOL!

Yeah I looked back and it does state "all other means". I'll wait and see what it says when I renew my liscence this summer.

Comment

wouldn't be worth it in November for only two fish. 2 could also walk around with one holding the light and the other a fishing pole. fish that sucker off the bottom. you are not gigging. I always wanted to do that for the STAR tournament but never did.

Comment

Why would you want to use a net instead of a gig?

Comment

Because "gigging" is banned in Nov. or if you wanted to catch some for a live fish donation tourney but ended up having a beach bonfire and drinking beer

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Because "gigging" is banned in Nov. or if you wanted to catch some for a live fish donation tourney but ended up having a beach bonfire and drinking beer
                        Ahhhh, I forgot about that B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
                          Why would you want to use a net instead of a gig?

Dude... re-read MuddSkippers post... We are no longer allowed to gig during Novemeber...
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                            wouldn't be worth it in November for only two fish. 2 could also walk around with one holding the light and the other a fishing pole. fish that sucker off the bottom. you are not gigging. I always wanted to do that for the STAR tournament but never did.
                            thats cheating
                            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                              Same here and wait, thank about this. It is a hot summer nite and you are seeing big signs everywhere. You get out the live bait rig and put on a 12" mullet. When you finally find that 28 monster laying on the bottom you make a perfect cast gently plopping that big live mullet in the water about 10 feet in front of his nose. You wait a minute for the commotion and your nerves to calm and you slowly real in the mullet and just before you reach the beast, you cut the lights, wait another quiet minute and you ever so gently and slowly real it up to the big flounder and WHAM! You just won a new boat motor and trailer and can pass any lie detector test!!!

I say, sure. you can always stick the fish and have bragging rights but everyone knows the big flounder just don't seem to taste as sweet as the little flounder and you will also always wonder what if?

I also say cut the lights because I don't think any flounder no matter how hungry is going to come out of his bed to be on stage in the light for his supper-remember he thinks he is invisible and will not give away his postion for any reason other than to leave a dust trail in his wake in the prescence of a larger predator such as yourself.

Has anyone ever petted a small flounder. he only staid there long enough to touch him because, I think, he truly thought he was invisible.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
                              X