Spotlights for hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlights for hogs?

So I'm coming up with another hair-brained scheme to bait up some hogs to stock the new chest freezer with

If I finally start seeing signs of them around, I'd like to shoot a few, but was wondering what to do if they are only coming out at night.

Would it be better to use one of those red-tinted spotlights, or would my normal off-brand Q-beam spotlight work? Would I be better off buying a cheaper Gen 1 night vision scope?

We use to get corn and let it soak in a bucket of beer or diesel for 3-5 days. Then either pour some in a trap or if we didnt have a trap, dig a hole to set the bucket in and the hogs used to hoover around the bucket trying to get to the corn.

I would use a spotlight with a red lense so they couldnt see the light and as long as you were in fornt of the light you can see them through the scope. Or even better and more of a challenage open sight 30-30 lever action, see how many you can get before they run off!

Comment

Im not by any means claiming to be an expert, but I have used anything from a handheld spotlight, a Maglight, and a huge portable spotlight, all with the regular white lense.

I also have a "hoglight" that I set up in a tree over one of my baited areas. It is red and runs off of a feeder battery. You can find it here http://www.texasboars.com/

I just walk around in the dark to the baited areas. You will be able to hear the hogs if they are in the area. Then get set up, hit the light and blast away. Its easier with two people. One can hold the light while the other shoots. After the first shot the start running anyways. We sneak up on them and mostly use bows, but sometimes a gun.

Also, if there is a full moon and you can catch them out in the field, a regular scope on your hunting rifle should be able to pick up the hogs enough to make a shot, do to the moon light.

Hope this helps.

Comment

By the way when we are hunting them with a bow which is most of the time the Maglight or small handheld spotlight is usually prefered because its so light and we are at such a short distance from the pig.

If gun hunting a maglight prolly is not the best choice because it lacks the ability to shine a beam very far.

ALL HOGS MUST DIE !!!

Comment

Open sites? Bow and arrows? I'm just trying to get some meat guys I've never shot a hog and would be plenty stoked to get one with a rifle.

I'll probably be by myself so I'm having doubts about my ability to aim a spotlight and rifle at the same time... Don't they have lights that mount above your scope?

Comment

One more question... Aim just behind the ear, or aim low and just behind or through the shoulder?

If I do see a nice one I may try a euro mount on it... guess it would have to be shoulder shot then.

Comment

Hell I'll bring ya some meat if thats all you want.

To hunt them at night is pretty exciting though.

I have one spotlight that has a small little stand type thing on the bottom. You could sneak up within range, get it propped up and aimed correctly and get into position with your gun, then turn on the light and fire. They dont usually run off as soon as the light hits them.

Just below and behind the ear is good. Drops em on the spot.

I dont know about a light to go on your scope?

It would be better to have a buddy with ya. To hold the light, and to comfort you if those scary hogs come after ya. LOL!! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. LMAO.

Comment

Milkjug, If you go to my pictures, there a pic of a hog I shot with my 270 at 125 yards right below the ear and it dropped it on the spot. Wouldnt recommend to shot it there if your gonna european mounting it but if just for meat, thats the spot. If you shot it behind or on the shoulder you will ruin too much meat

Comment

Or heres an idea that I am trying at one of my feeders. I have killed one big boar this way and could see just fine.

Go get you one or two of those solar powered yard lights at Lowes or Home Depot. Set it up over your baited area (feeder, holdwild ect.). Then go out at night and if they are on your bait, you will see them and can take the shot.

You dont even have to carry a light that way, and can do that by yourself. And the light is automatically on every night.

That is a pretty cheap option that has worked for me once so far. I was able to put the sneak on and shot him with my bow at 21 yards.

Comment

the best gun for spotlighting at night is a 17hmr or 22-50 the noise wont scare them away,. Just hittem in the head !
                    they make a light that goes on scopes and brightens the lens up they have the at bass pro or cabelas.
                    Last edited by Redfish Rob; May 6, 2009, 07:07 PM.
                    Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

On my old lease on the West Prong of the Nueces River, we used a solar powered LED lights that clamped to the leg of the feeder-of course the hogs would wait until dark 30 to come out, but two or three of those lights gave plenty of light under the feeder and you just waited until you could see them under the feeder and KAPOW, dead pig. I believe most good feeder retailers have/sell them-they work great, no hassle with batteries and stayed lit about 3 hours which was plenty of time. The digging a hole and putting sour corn (beer over corn works great-let it soak in a 5 gal bucket for about 2 days-wheww stinky) in it does work fantastic, but the pigs will dig a 4 foot hole to get at it all. Have fun-remember, those pigs are COVERED with fleas and ticks-on my lease they looked like "waves" running across the hide they were so thick and I picked fleas off me for days!! I don't clean them anymore-I'll pay someone else to do that-ugghh. MJ: We also used assault rifles and did the "John Wayne" style of hunting-pulled up fast on the feeder ready to shoot and just threw lead all over them!! You could get 2-3 of them if you were quick and decent shot at 1 feeder. Fun Fun Fun!!!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        I've never shot a hog and would be plenty stoked to get one with a rifle.

I'll probably be by myself
                        Be very careful with hogs, especially at night. They can get mean if wounded. Just be on the lookout after you shoot and you're walking towards the pig. Always be aware of the nearest tree in case you have to jump up on it.

If you are really going to get into it though, I would buy one of those lights that mounts on the scope. The ones I have seen come with the red lense but it is removable so you can experiment and figure out what works best. Good luck and don't catch that swine flu!
                        XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Yeah, I found some on Cabela's website. ~40-80 bucks, pretty reasonable. Will be scoping out the area for more hog sign soon, as well as bringing my .270 back from Austin.

Comment

Working...
                          X