How did this little City get here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did this little City get here

Went to the Jamaica Beach city council meeting regarding beach parking and paying to visit the beach here and have the police be in charge of how this all is going work, if it even should be a thought at all, have a lot of questions, first, how did a city of the size of Jamaica Beach get to a police state? First I dont remember voting for the police chief. And if all be told, why do we need 25 police officers. I am told that we have 10 volunteer police, with the population of our small city, if 10 officers want to volunteer their time to protect this city, why should we even pay for any police at all, and all their toys. And then the police, who want to control this program, want us to pay $30.00 per vechicle to ride on the beach? Wow. I'm not lying, maybe not drinking the same coolaid, but if you were at the same meeting tonight, please chime in.

I bet I'll get a ticket tomorrow, and our most dedicated Officer is no longer working for us. What the hell?

$30 to drive on the beach,sounds like florida and you cant even drink a beer.
    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Wow, 25 cops! I'd bet the crime statistics don't reflect that kind of manpower. You could request the stats and manpower (freedom of information) over the last 5-10 years and plot the stats against the manpower and see if there is any correlation.
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

The Agenda for last night's meeting says:

ITEMS OF BUSINESS:
        1. CONSIDER FOR ACTION APPROVING WATER OPERATORS AGREEMENT.
        2. CONSIDER FOR ACTION APPROVING A RESOLUTION DESIGNATING THE POLICE CHIEF TO ACT FOR AND
        ON BEHALF OF THE CITY OF JAMAICA BEACH IN DEALING WITH THE TEXAS GENERAL LAND OFFICE FOR
        THE PURPOSE OF APPLYING FOR STATE ASSISTANCE TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE PUBLIC BEACH.
        3. CONSIDER FOR ACTION APPROVING A RESOLUTION SETTING REIMBURSEMENT FEES FOR CITY
        EQUIPMENT USED IN THE MAINTENANCE, SECURITY AND EMERGENCY SERVICES ON THE PUBLIC BEACH.

It doesn't say anything about access to the beach by public vehicles. Please explain what was said versus the "Agenda". I have heard nothing about charging for "riding" on the beach-all 1/2 mile of it. It seems ridiculous that the City would close and open beaches to make revenue (since the Agenda merely lists Cleaning and Maintenance). Transparency?? WTF is that? It would be nice iof the City opened up to its citizens what its plans and purposes are and how charging someone to "ride" on the beach is now not a "Safety Concern" when "safety" was their reason to shut the beach to vehicle access. Bunch of BS to me.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Oh crap-great-I opened the Power Point on the City's website-what a bunch of crap. Are we now going to be sued because someone drowns (Like Texas City for the ignorant that drowned there and said lack of signs)? Well I'm voting against each Council member this chance-farge them.

Did they pass the resolution?
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I emailed the City-probably a waste of time, but WTH.

Here's what I wrote:

As a homeowner in Jamaica Beach, I am quite concerned about opening the Beach to vehicle access. The beach was closed to vehicle access as a measure to prevent harm to beachgoers by beach traffic. Children run and play on the beach-children do not tend to watch out for traffic-especially when “playing” on the beach. This whole re-opening of the beach is solely a revenue issue-obviously no safety issues were concerned or addressed. I find this disturbing. We already are burdened with high taxes and provide sufficient revenue to supply a full-time Police Force of 15 Officers (almost 1 for every 4 blocks), have numerous “vehicles and boats” for them to utilize as it is, now we are adding another vehicle, beach gate attendant, more liabilities (the attendant is a liability if he or she gets hurt or injured on the job). Has anyone addressed the issue of the Lawsuit against Texas City regarding signage? They did not post “warning” signs of strong currents, so when a person drown last summer, they sued the City for damages and likely will win-at the very least such suit will be costly to defend. Have you considered that issue? Please consider the issues of SAFETY-it certainly appears that it was once a major concern and issue and was the entire reason to close the beach to vehicle access, now you are doing an about face –solely for GREED, NOT SAFETY!

Please consider this as my objection to the proposed beach access plan and my objection to spending more of my tax monies to purchase additional vehicles for patrol, implement a beach access fee and open the beach to vehicular traffic. We agreed to the closure for a reason-IT IS CALLED “SAFETY”.

Comment

I'd pay $30 to drive on the beach again. Yearly permits no worries!
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

You wanna pay $30/year to access Jamaica Beach's beachfront? All 3300' of it? Now if they re-opened SLP area west of Rusty Hook, I'd be for that. This is purely a way to let Jamaica Beach impose a revenue fee under a so-called beach cleaning and maintenance charge. Now JBPD will buy a new truck because of the 3300+' of beachfront and add an attendant to collect fees at $10 per vehicle per day, put in some portapotties and a few garbage cans-like JBPD isn't already a Gestapo Force-3 new vehicles already, plus a new boat and a new "Rescue" boat and already have FIFTEEN Cops. That is 5 times more than the COG assigns to the ENTIRE West End, which includes 5 subdivisions bigger than Jamaica Beach. It's nothing but a money grab, hiding under the "Galveston Charges" for this and that BS and look how farged up the COG is-what a joke. Yes, I already pay for all the Police with my $74/month minimum water bill. What a bunch of crap. We already have too many PoPos in JB-they get plenty of revenue from the speeders they constantly go after in the 3/4 mile stretch they patrol.

Nothing but a money grab-I feel sorry for the beachhouses on the surf-they'll be overrun with golfcarts and others-and the "FREE" Parking area will be so clogged next to GISP, you'll never be able to go to the beachfront w/o paying the stupid fee.

Comment

BTW, the whole beach access closure thing is a big bunch of BS-Lyda Ann-the worthless POS Trust Fund Baby started this crap in Galveston for $$$$$-I hope she chokes on her Trust fund and gets buried on the beach and the waves uncover her rancid, stinking body and the seagulls pick her bones clean-oh wait, she can't be buried on the beach-no vehicle access. Darn!

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                    Yes, I already pay for all the Police with my $74/month minimum water bill. What a bunch of crap.
                    Wow, I'm on the other side of GISP from Jamaica Beach, in Palm Beach - City of Galveston (no deed restrictions or special assessments). My water/trash/city services bill is $43/month. The City police drive through once a day, twice a day on the weekends.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                      Wow, I'm on the other side of GISP from Jamaica Beach, in Palm Beach - City of Galveston (no deed restrictions or special assessments). My water/trash/city services bill is $43/month. The City police drive through once a day, twice a day on the weekends.
                      When you get the Robalo's age you must use the bathroom twice as much thus the difference in pricing...
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        When you get the Robalo's age you must use the bathroom twice as much thus the difference in pricing...
                        I think that's more of a function of the amount of beer he rents, than age.

Also, I just passed a durn kidney stone last week. Fun, fun, so I can sympathize....

Comment

I def don't speed through there.
                          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Age and Beer-keeps me exercising by running to the bathroom all the time!

Yep, do NOT speed through Jamaica Beach!! They LOVE to write tickets and rip through your vehicle.

Comment

The vote was deferred. And BTW, I wonder who took down all the signs at the beach, you know those signs "No Vechicles allowed"? They were there 2 weeks ago, didnt see them yesterday. There was a LOT of people NOT happy in the audience. Waiting on what the minutes from the meeting are published on the City Website.

Comment

Working...
                              X