Speargun Slip-tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speargun Slip-tips

Got my new shafts and slip-tip in today to replace the one I lost last year due to some bad rigging

I prefer slip-tips for large fish and rig hunting. A big fish can put a lot of torque on a spearshaft and bend it. A medium size fish can bend it too if it wraps around a rig leg. A bent shaft is not the cheapest thing to replace and can mean the end of your hunting if you don't have a spare. Slip-tips also provide the best holding power of any kind of tip.

I like the Riffe "Ice Pick" slip-tip.

The attached string is tucked into the stretched power bands to keep the tip from falling off before the shot if the gun is pointed down.

Once the spear is shot, the resistance of the water keeps the tip pushed onto the shaft.

Once the shaft penetrates the fish (hopefully ), the tip comes off, and toggles sideways on the other side. This provides awesome holding power, and keeps the fish from torquing the shaft and possibly bending it.

The small ring (with the string attached) that slides around on the cable is to help you remove the fish. You stick the pointed part of the tip into the ring, and pull the cable back through the fish. the ring holds the point forward and against the cable, and keeps the entire tip parallel to the cable.

There are a few downsides to slip tips.
    -Reloading takes a bit longer
    -The shaft is slightly heavier and less streamlined
    -If the tip toggles inside the fish (especially if it's in a hard part like the head/gillplates), you will probably have to cut the dive short and go to the boat to do some surgery. This doesn't happen too often.

Dude.... that is sweet ... how often do you get to go out?
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

With my budget and Port Aransas being so far away, I normally go once or twice a year. I'm hoping to see if I can get a few of the guys on the forum to take me out to some short rigs or weedlines in exchange for gas and cold beverages

Comment

Yan, were taking you the next time it lays down to 1' - 2'...

You would have easily had a Wahoo, Bull Dorado, Sow Snapper & 60lb class Ling
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
        X