lab blindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lab blindness

Has anyone had this happen to their lab? My 6 year female old yellow lab has gone 100% blind in the last 2 months. Vet can't figure it out, nothing from blood work etc and this seems to be what she has.

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
    PRA is the most common disorder affecting the retina of the dog and is a result of the reduction of retinal blood vessels and atrophy of the receptor cells of the retina. There are two types of PRA: generalized-PRA and centralized-PRA. In generalized-PRA, there is overall retinal function loss. Both eyes are affected, though one may be at a more advanced stage than the other. The condition is progressive, as indicated, though the rate of progression varies from breed to breed and individual to individual; however, the end result in all cases is blindness. Dogs afflicted with g-PRA often can only recognize objects immediately in front of them as there is early loss of peripheral vision. Centralized-PRA also affects both eyes and is progressive, however, dogs may retain peripheral vision for several years, but there is an early loss of central vision. This second form of PRA is the most common in the Labrador Retriever.
    • Age of onset: g-PRA: 2-3 years; c-PRA: 4-10 years
    • Symptoms:
      g-PRA: night blindness, "tunnel vision".
      c-PRA: gradually failing vision, tendency to collide with stationary objects in dog's path, poor distance vision, slow pupillary reflexes, dilation of pupils even under daylight conditions.
    • Treatment: Currently there is no successful treatment for slowing down or reversing the degeneration processes associated with either form of PRA. Treatment with vitamin A has been reported to improve vision in dogs in early stages of the disorder, but long-term prognosis remains doubtful.

Never heard of it. And dude that sucks.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
      Never heard of it. And dude that sucks.
      Me neither but on the positive side my brother in law has had a healthy blind weeenie dog still going strong after 4 or 5 yrs blind
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Sorry to hear that man.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Thanks for all of your support but that is what is killing me right now, she does not know her way around. YET. She is banging into everything, gets lost in the back yard and is just not herself at this step of the disorder. That is tough for me to see. You are right, the frisbee was what brought it to my attention, she just started missing it and that never happens, Then she lost coordination and dropped 15 pounds but, she will learn her way around and hopefully we will have several more years together. With so many here being sportsmen that have labs I am glad others have not had to go through this.

Comment

Is she maintaining her weight again? Thar's what concerns me the most. She'll get used to the blindness after a while, not that it will be any fun.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
              She will learn her way aroung the place in time . Putting her down or giving her to anybody else is not an option .If you've had her for a while she knows more then you think.
              She is fine, I am now the one with the problem.

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
              Is she maintaining her weight again? Thar's what concerns me the most. She'll get used to the blindness after a while, not that it will be any fun.
              She is eating again, not with the others but by herself. She would only eat if I hand fed her, now she is back to the bowl but is on a high protien high carb diet to get some weight back on.

Originally posted by Galveston340
              ...poor girl. as Curmudgeon says, she'll get used to her loss with your love and help. Really sorry to read this.
              Thanks, again it is harder on me than her I think. Having a 6 year old that would play all day and then overnight go to where she is now in such a short time it hard.

Comment

Miss Daisy passed in my arms at 5:30 this morning. One of the hardest days of my life.

Comment

Condolences, Sir. Sorry for your loss. A good dog is worth their weight in gold.

Comment

She is still your girl ... Your voice will be her comfort
                    i feel for you ... I love my girl like she was my baby
                    Captain Glenn Stevens
                    Coastal Guide Service
                    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

lab blindness

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My sincerest condolences. There just isn't anything else in the world like a good dog. I know the pain you're feeling - keep the good memories close to your heart. And know that Miss Daisy was blessed for having had you as her companion.

Comment

I lost my best friend of 17 years a few months ago its so hard it will get better i promise so sorry for your loss
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thats just awful -- I know how bad that sucks -- I sat and cried while my bird dog had to be put down in my arms.. Prayers to you and your pup. Really sorry man.
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

lab blindness

The Last Battle:

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
                              and pain should keep me from my sleep,
                              Then you must do what must be done,
                              For this--the last battle--can't be won.
                              You will be sad I understand,
                              Don't let grief then stay your hand,
                              For on this day, more than the rest,
                              Your love and friendship must stand the test.
                              We have had so many happy years,
                              What is to come can hold no fears
                              You'd not want me to suffer, so.
                              When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
                              Only, stay with me till the end
                              And hold me firm and speak to me
                              Until my eyes no longer see.
                              I know in time you will agree
                              it is a kindness you do for me.
                              Although my tail its last has waved,
                              From pain and suffering I have been saved.
                              Do not grieve that it must be you
                              Who has to decide this thing to do;
                              We've been so close--we two--these years,
                              Don't let your heart hold any tears.
                              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                              X