Light Tackle Ling!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Tackle Ling!!!!!!

Ok, so after finding a few ling on friday. Kaylin and I took the day off yesterday and drove to Lavaca for the last TRS tourney of the year. It was a great weigh in with several of our friends placing in the tourney.

Today, I had a trip schedule with my little brother Bobby (fool4fishin) and my best friend lance. This trip was bobby's birthday present so it was his call as far as what he wanted do today..

Of course, after hearing about the ling .. HE couldnt think of anything else he wanted.. So off towards the jetties we went.. We had some live mullet and such so we started on the north end of the north jetty to try for some trout and reds... Caught a few sandies and that was about it...

We finally gave up and decided to motor out offshore in what were some rather LARGE swells.. Water looked good, so we kept going out and about 2 miles out we spotted a few ling...

My brother had first shot and WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAM he took the bait and hauled butt as fast as he could away from the boat.. That lasted about 20 seconds before he broke the line (30# braid)....

So we find another one and cast to him and WHAAAAAAAAM he inhales it and off the the races we go... This one didnt get away, although i almost let him go lol.. I got him in the net, pulled him in the boat and he jumped out of the net and back into the water and started running again... A few minutes later with some coaching of my little brother, he got the ling into the net again.. Solid 37" + fish.. Into the livewell he goes. THIS fish was my brothers first LING to actually land. He has broke a few off out on the party boats, but never brought one in and certainly not on light tackle..

Next is my turn, we find another little group of ling and i pick the biggest one out of the group. I hook up and manhandle this ling to the boat with a laguna inshore /curado E7 and 50# fins braid... It took me almost 10 minutes to get this bigger ling in. He was not going to come in quitely lol. This ling was 42".

Ok after this, we are worn out from the 6 to 8ft swells so we decide to head back to west bay.. Finally, once were in calm water i told them that we needed to go find some redfish..

Once in west bay, we go to one of my favorite spots and start throwing gulps under Inticers and Evolution Midcoast popping corks... We had 7 reds in about an hour, with several big breakoffs and a huge Slimer... 3 of the reds were keeper and will be on the halfshell later tonight.

All in all a long tough but good day.. Congrats to my little brother on his first ling and happy birthday.

Thomas

Ps. This picture shows how tough my Laguna Inshore is... Man i love that rod
    Attached Files
    Capt. Thomas Barlow
    281-827-6815
    www.notoriousguideservice.com

WTG Thomas......I bet your brother had a blast! I want to catch one of those someday myself!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Awsome report!
      NoBama

Comment

MMMMMMmmm.....ling tacos! Good haul T.
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Great report. I'm going to catch some ling one of these days.
          Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Great job!
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great report. I love hooking ling!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

nice outing and with your bro! at that
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Nice!! that rod looks BenT!

Comment

Nice Ling, we actually cooked up the rib section of Donna's ling last night and I will tell you it was the best part of the fish!

Throw some seasoning, onions and lemon slices and grill to perfection!
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

very nice catch
                      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Sweet! Looking forward to my first keeper Ling...I heard they grill up good! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                        X