Green Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Rookie

Ive been wanting ot try my hand at fly fishing for reds. I have checked a few places and want to ask folks here.

1.) Lessons or rig first?

2.) Where is best place to get lessons? Ive checked Orvis and bass pro. Both prices are...OK but not sure about instructors. Ive also looked at Anglers Edge or iFly over in Galleria

Any advise will be great, not ruling out a day on the water either.

Green Rookie,

Firstly welcome to the forum. Glad you are on the road to fly fishing for reds. My advice for what it's worth would be to have a lesson first, that way you can try out a whole load of different styles of rod and can get a feel for what might suit you in terms of action before you buy. A good lesson not only will help iron out problems with your casting but a good fly shop / instructor should have a number of different rod / line combos to try out. They will also be able to advise on head length , weight etc. Some places may even throw in a free lesson depending on what kit you are buying.1 hour spent with a good instructor will be worth many, many hours of trying yourself.

I would also recommend Ifly (Anglers Edge) - both Patrick and Jarid will keep you right in terms of kit and instruction. A lesson and balanced kit will make your day out on the water so much more enjoyable. If you are considering a day out I would also recommend Jarid as a guide - top bloke, easy manner, great fisherman.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

David

Comment

Welcome Aboard!
      Check with Captain Steve Soule', The Shallowist, for lessons before you get your rig. He can teach you as well as give you advice on what sort of set up to get. I found his prices extremely reasonable.
      http://www.theshallowist.com/ 281-352-6289
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Man huge help guys. I didnt clean my one of my "goto" reels over winter so out with a Revo and in with some fly lessons and set up. Once again thanks for info.

Comment

Working...
        X