Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help and tips

Hey y'all
    I am just starting to get in to fly fishing, needless to say, I am addicted already. I have been fishing mostly ponds and small creeks as of late, but next month when school gets out, my buddy and I are going to start fishing the marsh areas that are more east of Galveston (Sabine and Calcasieu). I was just wondering if y'all had any tips about where to go, what to use, etc..
    Sorry if this is too broad, but we are really excited to get started and could use any tips or techniques. Thanks for y'alls time.
    Something clever

If you're looking for flyfishing lessons, I'd get in touch with Steve Soule', The Shallowist. He's a great guide and teacher and I'm sure you can hire him to teach you some techniques to add to your aresenal.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I would suggest that you want to make sure that the tackle you have is well matched to the species that you are after. Usually something like a 8wt would be a good all round choice for reds and trout in the marshes. A visit to a good fly shop like Ifly at Post Oak Blvd. is well worth it to pick up some good advice and a selection of good fly patterns. These guys will know whats happening and where is fishing well. As Curmudgeon has mentioned the other option is to hire a good guide for a day - you can learn at lot and a day with a good guide is never wasted. I would highly recommend Jarid Malone www.jmflyfishing.com. Any good guide will have good kit for you to try and will run skiffs that can get you way back into the marshes and the skinny water. If you are more into DIY then you could do a lot worse than to hit the jetties at Galveston or Sabine Pass. Good luck and tight lines.

Comment

Thanks y'all for the advice. I truly appreciate it. I think going with a guide is a great idea especially for casting and pattern tips.
        Something clever

Comment

talk to the guys up at Fishing Tackle Unlimited - they have a HUGE fly fishing and fly tying section and great prices as well and very knowledgeable about the Galveston area- he gave me some good advice this past weekend but I haven't tried out the areas yet but he said that there is a lot of areas to wade fish there ; I mainly fish the Guadalupe River for Rainbow trout and we have a house in Port O Connor so I know that area mainly. Hopefully we will have the Wailer running by summer but if not I will be trying out some of those wading spots out of Galveston myself.

Comment

Need help and tips

The shallowist Capt Soule' is addicted as well. Book him on a fly trip you will not be sorry. Every time I talk fishing with him my fishing knowledge climbs. So I can imagine actually fishing with him lol.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
            X