Quantum Smoke Reel Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum Smoke Reel Review

Was headed down to Matagorda for the weekend of July 4th and wanted to pick up a spare reel to take with me so decided to hit the Academy in Webster as I needed to grab several gallons of Yamalube as well.
    Had heard about these "Smoke" reels from my friend that fished Lake Calcasieu a couple of weeks earlier as he is sponsored by both Quantum as well as Strike King lures. Sounded like a pretty good reel, but, being the skeptic that I am I was going to check out the product before I grabbed one.
    I had several reels on the counter as I was comparing them and had it down to two choices.

Shimano Core and the Quantum Smoke.

To put it bluntly, they sure don't build the prior like they used to. The "Core" had a good three seconds of free spool vs the Shimano product. I guess if the Shimano was "super tuned" it would have the same action, but I am not one to pay extra for a high dollar reel to be tuned when it ought to be good to go out of the box!

Talked my "Boss" into trying it out and he picked up the last one at the Webster store. I Fished with it last weekend paired with an old All Star Classic rod at 7ft that I still had stashed and it really amazed me how well it performed.
    One thing about this reel is that it is sealed. As in nothing gets inside of it such as salt water and other nasties. Will be working the heck out of it over the next few months and will come back to provide more info on how it performs, but, on my first impression I'd recommend this reel to everyone.

I bought a quantum back in the 90's. It broke after 2 trips to the lake. Traded it for another one of the same kind. It lasted 2 trips and broke. Bought the ambassador 5500C3, and lasted a long time. Brought it to the saltwater, and had to tear it every other trip. Guess I just got the wrong quantum reel. Maybe they have improved it. Lord Bless.
    robert
    And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

How's it doing?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just read a review that was very positive . I have a couple of Quantum older reels and they are well made . I think Shimano's are over rated especially for the price . Looking at the Smoke I think I saw it has magnetic brakes . Magnetic brakes are the way to go . You can easily fine tune the spool better than centrifugal brakes and without fumbling around opening the side plate . With magnetic brakes you can be casting with the wind to your back , turn around , dial up the brakes and cast into the wind .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sounds good, I will look into them

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X