Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopWater line issues

A few questions:

I primarily use topwaters and have been using the MirroLure Knot http://www.mirrolure.com/knot.html which works perfect with the Berkley Fireline Crystal line I have been using. The problem is, I keep losing fish because of line caught around the hooks from the blowups. I feel worse about the fish than I do losing my lure, and want to know how you guys prevent this. Those barbs seem to cut through any <12lb line like a hot knife through butter.

I have made the mistake of tying a knot on a topwater that has a keychain style loop that my line gets caught in and works its way out, what do you use?

How come the MirroLure knot works flawlessly with the Fireline super braid but not with other braids? I don't use mono anymore because of it's "memory" issues. Thanks again guys.

Since Paul Brown started selling those thread on swivels , I don't tie directly to the lure. It's too easy to change out lures and they are secure not being a snap swivel. But, never had that much trouble with a loop knot. Make sure your loop isn't too big.
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

your loop is too big.

Comment

I use a ~3' length of 20lb fluorocarbon as a leader, then I tie a rapala knot and make the loop part as small as I can. Pencil eraser sized is the biggest I'll tie it.

I like using the fluoro leader with braid, since the braid is too limp and would tangle if I tied it directly. It's also less visible.

Comment

Oh yeah, take off that split ring and use a loop knot. The less ugly hardware hanging out the better.

Don't know why the knot doesn't work as well with braid. The only knots I ever tie are rapala loops, improved clinch, and uni-uni. Covers pretty much everything I do.

Comment

What milkjug said

Comment

I believe there are a few problems using braid with topwaters. One is like you mention, it seems to tangle up in the front hooks; Two, it doesn't have any stretch, so when you set the hook, you could be pulling the lure away from the fish and thirdly, braid sinks, which will drag the nose of your lure down, giving you less action.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                I believe there are a few problems using braid with topwaters. One is like you mention, it seems to tangle up in the front hooks; Two, it doesn't have any stretch, so when you set the hook, you could be pulling the lure away from the fish and thirdly, braid sinks, which will drag the nose of your lure down, giving you less action.
                I know what you mean i would rather have that problem.

Another thing...

I like the "walk the dog" motion and I achieve it by basically using my rod tip to tighten the slack of the line in the water... same motion as if say my dog had slack in her leash, instead of wrapping the leash around my hand, i give it a tug with my arm. Once there is a lot of slack, a reel and repeat... The problem with this is that I get a loose wrap on the reel and causes tangles when casting.

Am I using the wrong technique? Its either this situation with braid, or seeing spirals sitting on top of the water and a lot of stretch from mono memory.

I use a penn spinfisher 440 ssg that I like. Do you guys have these same issues with baitcasters?

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  I use a ~3' length of 20lb fluorocarbon as a leader, then I tie a rapala knot and make the loop part as small as I can. Pencil eraser sized is the biggest I'll tie it.

I like using the fluoro leader with braid, since the braid is too limp and would tangle if I tied it directly. It's also less visible.
                  Ditto on the Flouro and then I use a Quickswirl or a Surgeons loop and never have a problem.
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Man I gotta get up to speed on this stuff. I use andes and some stupid knot my dad taught me. Have'nt lost any fish lately. Got catch em to lose em
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Braided line definently doesn't sink. It floats even better than mono does.

No stretch can be a problem, but set your drag loose and you'll be fine. Plus you shouldn't be hook-setting topwater fish anyways, because you will pull the lure away mono or braid.

I had a penn spinfisher 440SSG or something. Good reel, but the little cap thing that holds the handle onto the reel is metal-on-metal threads and slips and eventually you will use it. Good reel, but after it happened the 2nd time I got rid of it. Found out at FTU that the reel was "too new" to have that part for replacement. You could use some locktite on it, but you would have to replace it everytime you took the handle off for relubing.

Comment

I gave up on braid for bait casting reels. When casting plugs the braid will cut into the reel and come to a dead stop causing a birds nest. I don't need it for the extra distance and it screws up the pattern I have been using since late 80s to walk the dog. Braid is only used on spinning reels and even then I need a smooth slow cast to avoid knots in the line.

Comment

I don't like braid, either. It has it's advantages, but none that I can't live without. Have to change your rhythm and retrieve. Messes with your mono style if you change back.
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I still use braid on my spinning rod for spoons and any lead head with a straight retrieve (C tails and cocahoe minnoes). I can't get used to it for plugs or shrimp tails. I tie about 18" of 20lb mono to it. Good for setting the hooks on flounders.

Comment

Because braid has no stretch, you feel everything when fishing with it, which helps immensely when there is a light bite or if it is windy and you have a lot of bow in your line.
                              I fill half the spool with mono and the spool the other half with braid and put it on really tight and have no problems with it digging in.
                              sigpic
                              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Working...
                              X