How slow is "slow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How slow is "slow"

I learned in school that if you have a question, chances are 10 others have the same but don't want to ask. So here it goes...

When I hear that in the winter and cold water, you should have a slow retrieve.... How slow is slow?

I already work my tops pretty slow as it is, like a 2 min retrieve from casting across the canal (to give a distance)

How about with weighted plastics? do you let it sit on the bottom for a couple secs, bump it or work it to the top, let it fall and repeat?

I seem to have asolutely NO luck with AP special, weedless rigs, BA shads etc. the only thing that seems to work lately is the GULP shrimp.

Thanks again!

If you click the news button there are a bunch of wonderful articles our local guides have written and contributed to the site....

The best and what we consider to be the Bible of Fishing West Bay is this:

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Slow can be anywhere from dragging it on the bottom to popping it off the bottom and letting it sit for several seconds in between. With a light jighead you can let it sink slowly and wait for up to 10 seconds or so before moving it. As always, vary your retrieve until you find what works.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks Coe

Comment

If you think your going slow enough

SLOW DOWN.... that is slow
          Capt. Thomas Barlow
          281-827-6815
          www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Texxan1 View Post
            If you think your going slow enough

SLOW DOWN.... that is slow
            That says it all... haha thanks!

Comment

Yep. Get a light jighead. 1/16oz or lighter. When you retreive, you don't have to have all the slack out of the line. In fact, if you don't have slack, you're pulling in the lure too quickly!

Comment

I have same problem-I believe I retrieve to fast-noticed my assassin was on surface about 7-10' from my rod. Capt. Greg did one pop and reeled in-I always have used the "pop pop" and likely why I did crummy while they caught fish. Gotta slow it down and vary it.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  Yep. Get a light jighead. 1/16oz or lighter. When you retreive, you don't have to have all the slack out of the line. In fact, if you don't have slack, you're pulling in the lure too quickly!
                  That has probably been my problem. I have been using heavier jig heads to fight the strong winds lately.

While I was getting good distance, It only took a couple seconds for the jig to go from top to bottom.

Now that I think about it... (like you said) it is probably better for it to fall slowly, going with the current, giving a better presentation overall.... Ill give it a try today, wind doesnt seem to be so bad.

Comment

Try using a corky devil. They sink slow like a 1/16 jighead but they are heavy and you can chunk them a mile. I caught fish on the pearl one last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                      Try using a corky devil. They sink slow like a 1/16 jighead but they are heavy and you can chunk them a mile. I caught fish on the pearl one last winter.
                      Real good choice,I still got a big jack wish running around west bay with one hung in the side of his mouth.
                      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

They are also really easy to work, a lot easier than a fatboy or mirrolures imo

Comment

Pretty cool, I wonder if thats what the gators on the nshoreline live off of

Comment

I have had much more success with the Coky Devil than the Corky.
                            Just mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. If it matters you better mind!

Comment

I agree with most but also add try making the Pop a good one, a strong Pop and let her sink... To me the bite comes when the plastic is falling..

Good Topic..
                              Thanks,
                              wd

Comment

Working...
                              X