11/7 Coco bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/7 Coco bay

Launched by 2004 n hit up chocolate.... From the looks of things everyone was catching fish. Water was high but looked really nice in the morning. found some bait and started wading. the water started dirtying up around noon w/ the east wind coming in. Fished on the west side and was getting flounder hits left and right... just couldnt set the hook though... could have easily caught last months limit if i had used live but stuck w/ arties and only snagged one at 19". Twice saw 2 huge flounders launch out the air and i would cast to them and feel that hard thump and line burn but the hook wouldnt set!! Buddy picked up a 17" flounder on gulp and a couple reds just shy of size..

When we loaded up 2 other boats came in.. one picked up 4 nice reds along the grass where we were wading and some trout on gulp and another 12 specks in the box.

So my question is if you use plastics.. do you wait 10 seconds or set the hook right away? Neither worked..

will post pics later.. gotta run to dinner

Nice job! If I'm targeting flounder I do tend to let em chaw on it for a bit before I set the hook. I also use a shorter stouter rod. Flounder mouths have a lot of bone in em so really sharp hooks and a hard hook set help out a lot.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Another good trip buddy!! If only those reds were of size and that one eyed flounder was an inch bigger!

Check this out...someone uses a kicker hook. Not a bad idea but i would think it might mess with the action of a lure...

Comment

Flounder Bites

I had the same problem on two seperate occasions. I have a shorline up Chocolate Bayou that I fish for reds and flounder. The past two times I made a trip up there, the flounder were present, just not swollowing the lures. They were content to chew my Pink Lemonade Bown Lures beyond reuse.

Comment

x2 with itbtsoom...i use a 6.6 with 20 lb power pro...send that hook home hard!!
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I usually use the chartruese 4" curly tail GULP for flounder. When I feel a bite , I wait 10-20 seconds before setting the hook. Most often the bait's in their stomach or ribbed back of the throat. Sometimes it's not a flounder. You can tell because the line starts peeling off, set the hook. Like fishing live bait. The kickker hook looks good. I'm going to try that myself. Were you close to the intercoastal ? I'd like to take my kayak from the bait camp sometime.
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

When targeting flounder I use a stiffer spinning rod with super braid to drive the hook home. I also use a trailer hook in a powerbait or some other scented bait (C tail or minnow). I go with a heavier lead head to keep the lure on the bottom and reel slower. The hardest part is waiting to set the hook.

For wading this is my second rod, my first is a baitcast with topwaters.

Comment

Working...
              X