Oil Filter leaking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter leaking...

Well I replaced my oil filter on my engine. Noticed a small amount seemed to be leaking nothing pouring out but enough that I felt it when I was tinkering with some things just a film near where the oil filter seats to the engine.

I noticed it after I removed the old one (which was not leaking). Cleaned the surface with a rag applied oil to the new seal and screwed it back on as tight as I could get it with my hands then grabbed the oil wrench and turned it a 1/4 of a turn or just a bit tighter than I could get with just my hands.

I'm thinking its fine but didn't know if I did something wrong or shouldn't have used the wrench to tighten it? maybe it was just leaking b/c it was cold out?? I installed it in 70 degree weather and next day was 48 on water... who knows?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

I don't know. Keep an eye on it. Mine got lose but it was because it had been over 6 months since I changed the oil.

Comment

I NEVER use a wrench on any oil or water seperators!! You never know when you might have to pull it off while on the water. I'd pull it back off and clean it one more time and lightly coat the seal with oil, HAND tighten it and try it again.
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        I NEVER use a wrench on any oil or water seperators!! You never know when you might have to pull it off while on the water. I'd pull it back off and clean it one more time and lightly coat the seal with oil, HAND tighten it and try it again.
        I put oil on the seal and only snugged it up with the wrench. I keep all tools on the boat at all times.

Were talking about my Gator-Tail here... 35HP Briggs & Stratton Lawn mower engine basically.

Comment

Too tight!! It probably has the gasket squeezed out of the groove. Hand tight and a little bit should do it. My two cents.
          Beandaddy

Comment

is the filter trash? do i have to drain oil in order to remove oil filter??

Comment

It should be alright. Just make sure the gasket is OK and the filter should be. I don't know about the oil draining on Your engine but on My yammy four stoke the oil don't even spill when I remove the filter.
              Beandaddy

Comment

X3 with Mike and Beandaddy. Too tight. If gasket looks ok after ya pull it, try putting it on again (hand only). If still leaks, try another new filter.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X