• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long rodders?

Any long rod beach/surf fisherman here?

Lets talk rods and reels.
    What are your favorites?
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

We have many 12' - 15' Rods but have since slowed down the surf scene... Seems once they took away driving from Rusty to SLP we all have purchased boats and would rather drive out to the pass in the boats
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I fish for toothies. Entered Sharkathon this year, got skunked. Way too much debri in the water from Ike. PINS is a mess. We bonfired for three days straight and did not put a dent in it.
      Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

We held a Bull Red Surf Tournament 3 years ago when it was just the founders... Think the winning bull was 35" forget how much it weighed 6 Bull Reds, 20 black tips and one bull shark was what we caught...

Comment

I retired from long rodding Officially last Wednesday!

I used to fish with two, 10' Harringtons w/ penn 113 HLW's and a 10' Fenwick w/ penn 114 HLW.

The Penns are still for sale BTW, but the Rods are Gone....

Comment

I use a Penn Squidder... Can anyone suggest another reel I think mine was damaged during Ike...

Comment

Damn! Sorry I missed those Harringtons.

Squidder is a great old reel. I have several.
              Penn Jigmaster is a good, relatively inexpensive surf reel.
              My next reel will be a Shimano Torium.
              West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post

Squidder is a great old reel. I have several.
                Penn Jigmaster is a good, relatively inexpensive surf reel.
                My next reel will be a Shimano Torium.

I don't think a torium would be very good. I have 5 torium 30's. They are great and I love them. They cast good and have a very fast retrieve.

But.... No Torque!!! A big fish will where you out. This big grouper was on a Torium 30.... Wore my @ss out!

Comment

Yah but you did it with one hand on the rod and one holding your beer... The 40OZ's sure would make me tired too

Comment

I have a cheap 9' and a 7'6" Shakespeare combo I used to use out in NC for bull reds and sharks. They arent that good but worked and are still in good shape.
                    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I thought the Torium's were the ones with super good drags?
                      Somewhere I read you could crank down like 25pounds of drag on them?

Comment

I like my Diawa Sealine 50, use a 12' FTU 2 piece. Works just fine.
                        Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

If i'm not mistaken my REVO INS will get 24 lbs. of drag.. It came with a power handle.

Although I wouldn't use the rod it's on for surf fishing..
                          Last edited by Primer; November 14, 2008, 06:57 PM.
                          Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

I know where the Harringtons are........
                            Yep, I like those old Squidders, Jigmasters and Surfmasters.
                            Last edited by WestEndAngler; February 23, 2009, 01:56 PM. Reason: Fixing "Quote"

Comment

I thought the Torium's were the ones with super good drags?
                              Somewhere I read you could crank down like 25pounds of drag on them?

I don't know if they have Up-Graded the drag and Anti-Reverse yet on the Newer models, But I had to send mine to the shop to get repaired after my second trip out.

You can crank the drag down pretty good... As long as everything was upgraded. But still, like before... No torque.

I kinda wish they were two speed. Then they would be perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X