8 Mile 5/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Mile 5/19

My buddy Cole and I fished the reefs at the end of 8 Mile for like 5 hours yesterday (3PM-8PM)

I threw topwaters, mirrolures, corkys, AP special, Bull Minnows, Sea Devils at em EVEN popping corks with LIVE BAIT and NOTHING...
    It is frustrating because the Pelicans and Gulls were all around us and we could see bait jumpin around but nothing worked. We waded from waist to chest deep.

Seems like the past couple weeks the mullet and minnows have been everywhere but nothing has been biting.

Fishing over oyster beds in water 2-3ft is about the biggest pain in the ***** there is when fishing with anything besides a topwater. Anything with a hook that hangs down get caught/torn up and using weightless weedless rigs with AP special is hard because the hook manages to catch everything down there! Any advice?

I forgot to add the following lures used: Catch 5, catch 2000, flappin devil, DOA shrimps and shads, X-rap subwalk, Rapala slashbaits. I really want to try using some GULP! but have been trying to ween myself from that stuff.

Comment

Fish are moving to sand and grass
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
        Fish are moving to sand and grass
        ditto

Comment

There are ton of fish still over shell...... The middle of the day bite has been slow due to a weak tide. I'm catching my fish over sand early then moving out over shell in 2 to 3' of water after that. If there was Pelicans, Gulls, and bait jumping around I would be willing to bet there were Trout not far behind. They just were not feeding. My best bite has been from first light to 9am. Just about all the fish I catch in the summer months will be over shell after 10oo in less than 5' of water and mostly on soft plastics. You just had a tough bite!

AQUA PIMP
          AQUA PIMP......
          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Thanks AP, Imhammer.

We saw lots of big big trout pushing bait, but like you said, they just were not eating. Also, I saw a weiiiiiird looking jellyfish. It was solid clear light blue, cylindrical shape, dome top and no tentacles! very very strange

Comment

8 mile

I love walking into that spot in the winter, but I have never had any luck there after about March 15, I'm sure the trout are still there but it just feels like a winter time spot to me...I move farther west to SLP...the TCD area can also produce some excellent stringers this time of year if you are walking in. Just my 2 cents, all I've caught around that spot this time of year is stingrays and oyster shells!!! Good luck.

Comment

that place is over fished. try closer to the pass.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

The Texas City Dike (Skyline Drive) can be awesome right now through the summer.

AQUA PIMP
                  AQUA PIMP......
                  "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Where is the best place to enter if you're fishing the Texas City Dike?

Comment

And how is the best way to get a kayak out there what with the fence and rocks ?
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                      X