Good times on the fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good times on the fly

I needed a relaxing day of fishing after the last few weeks, so I invited a long time fishing bud, Captain Darryl Menard. We headed out for a morning of topwaters and flyfishing. Hit the first spot around 7am and after a bit of walking and watching a school of tailing reds blow out before we ever got within range, we finally found a few trout that wanted to eat spook jr's. We landed 5 or 6 before they decided that they didn't really want to eat anymore. It was fun while it lasted, but they didn't stick around for long.

As the sun got to a reasonable angle, we got in the boat and started looking for redfish. They were scattered out pretty bad compared to what they have been the last few weeks. We were seeing a few, but they were either moving very fast or we couldn't see them until we were on top of them. Even with the tough conditions, Darryl managed to get 3 decent reds and a small trout to eat the shrimp fly. High and dirty water doesn't make for good sight casting.

As we got a litte farther down the shoreline, and started seeing small groups again. We decided that we would jump out and wade for the last our of our day. I grabbed my 8 wieght, and took off after the first group that I could see. Darryl was getting a drink and watching a small thunderhead that looked to be moving our way. Intermittent sunlight with the cloud cover made things tough and I missed several fish that got within 10 feet before I could see them. It wasn't all bad, as some were pushing and popping shrimp. I landed 3 before Darryl caught up to me. We found a few more, but it was thinning out in the heat. I spotted one up ahead as darryl was trying to coax one out of a small pocket. This was my best of the day at about 25 inches. Darryl and I walked down one last group and got a double hookup to finish the morning. We realized that we were about to get wet and started a quick walk back to the boat. We got there just in time and had to take evassive manuevers to stay clear. After the storm passed, we headed back and called it a day.

Score: 5 or 6 trout on topwaters early, then 9 reds and 1 trout on fly.

It was a blast and great to see Darryl with a fly rod and fish attached again.
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

steve, glad to see you are enjoying your mitzi skiff and also glad to see you are finding fish that want to eat. i am ready for cooler weather

Comment

Nice work Capt. always enjoy your posts

Comment

Nice report Steve. I have some ideas on water I want to scout soon that would probably be best to do with 2 or more skiffs. Maybe we can put a trip together in the next few weeks to check it out. Doug I will give you call also to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidalguide View Post
          Nice report Steve. I have some ideas on water I want to scout soon that would probably be best to do with 2 or more skiffs. Maybe we can put a trip together in the next few weeks to check it out. Doug I will give you call also to talk about it.

Let me know Brandon, I can get away much easier with this new job. Give me a shout, I may be able to answer questions about "other" areas and save you the trip.
          http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
          X