My first Bull Red of the Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Bull Red of the Season!

Finally! Been trying to catch one for weeks now, it's been all rat reds, 2 slots, until now! This lunker weighed in at 22 lbs and was 32 inches long! Oh, was caught free-lining live mullet from the 53rd street rock jetty. Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to catch one, was using light tackle catching whiting and sand trout...lol! What a fight though using a light spinning reel on a 6ft rod...yes he nearly spooled me 3 times! All catch and release now, had to use my tag... Oh well, I figured might as well, might not get a bigger one later on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Got Fish?; October 7, 2010, 12:03 AM.

Nice fish great catch. Thanks for the photos. How old is a fish of that size?
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Thanks! My best guess, after reading a few articles on redfish aging, which is difficult to determine most of the time apparantly, is it was around 3-5 yrs old. Read something also very interesting, they can live up to 40 yrs!! Most male redfish mature at around age 5 and females around age 6, then they typically move offshore until it's time to spawn again.....interesting stuff!

Comment

Nice Catch... Thanks for the story & pictures...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice catch,congrats
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice!
            Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

good one!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Charlie, Were you the guy on the Jetty today tellin me about your wife not bringing you your fishin' stuff so you had to go back home?

Comment

WTG!
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Yep! That was me, were you the guy in the white teeshirt? I ended up just catching a bunch of hardheads by the way.

Comment

Sure was.. Your original post was the reason I was at that particular pier. Stay out there too long and youll catch some rabies from those GIANT RATS.

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                        Sure was.. Your original post was the reason I was at that particular pier. Stay out there too long and youll catch some rabies from those GIANT RATS.
                        Pm me your contact info. I have an 18' kenner and might go this saturday to the N. Jetty. Even if I don't go this weekend, your more than welcome to go with me when I do. I am wanting to land my first Bull of the year as well.
                        NoBama

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                          HAHA, I know right, those things are BRAVE and they work in teams, two of em tried to steal my frozen mullet couple nights ago. I don't see them that often though.

Comment

Originally posted by PasadenaMan View Post
                            Pm me your contact info. I have an 18' kenner and might go this saturday to the N. Jetty. Even if I don't go this weekend, your more than welcome to go with me when I do. I am wanting to land my first Bull of the year as well.
                            I'll go ahead and pm my info to you, but not sure if I can go this weekend. Just gimme a call and I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                              HAHA, I know right, those things are BRAVE and they work in teams, two of em tried to steal my frozen mullet couple nights ago. I don't see them that often though.
                              I'm 2 for 2 with seeing the rats... on different jetties. They are def brave and get BRAVER as the night goes on. I sat down on a rock the other night and heard a loud squeel... think I sat on his tail.

You work for the USCG right? Try to "borrow" some FLIR or NV goggles and Ill bring some pellet guns and then fish for sharks!

Comment

Working...
                              X