Braid to snap swivel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid to snap swivel question

Should I put a mono/flouro leader on my 65lb braid when connecting to a big snap swivel or no? What lb mono if so?

I like to use a #10 or #12 swivel tied to the main line(braid) and approx. a 12"-14" flourocarbon leader tied to the lure.
    Normally I use 20lb leader material.
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

If I use braid, it's 30 lb. test, and I use a small Spro swivel with about 18" of 20 lb. mono.

Comment

30lb test to 65lb braid?? doesnt that negate the strength of the mainline?

Comment

No, I use 30 lb. braid, not 65, but you could still use a Spro swivel. I guess it would all depend on what you are fishing for, inshore, off-shore, etc.

Comment

We need more info on what your targeting?

Trout and reds in the bay?
            Offshore stuff wif the big teethessess?

My description is normal bay rigging. I spool the reels with 30lb test braid.
            On my big surf reels I'm using 50 and 65lb stuff.
            West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
              Should I put a mono/flouro leader on my 65lb braid when connecting to a big snap swivel or no? What lb mono if so?
              I have 65lb braid on my off shore reels with 60-80 yards of 60LB top shot. The 60LB is sometimes tied to the my 100LB leaders for snapper, also tied to wire leaders etc. Works great.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

If I am around the platforms I use 80lb mono all the way, Be sure to cut back ever so often to fresh mono!!
                Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Don't use a swivel. I tie my 40lb fins windtamer to a 20lb leader with a Albright. Then tie on a tony clip

Comment

Snap swivels will make you cry when that big fish comes off due to the swivel opening.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                      Snap swivels will make you cry when that big fish comes off due to the swivel opening.
                      Thus the reason we just shoot 'em.

Free diving off shore of Galveston, TX20NM off the South Jetty. 7.4.11.JBL Gulf Mangum XHD Speargun, GoPro camera with Head Strap mount.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                      X