Big trout slammin!!!! remote mud and shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big trout slammin!!!! remote mud and shell

Got on the water about 10am this morning with Daniel Popovich to check out two of our favorite remote big trout mud and shell spots. Since the big front blew through, we haven't had conditions that would let us get there, but everything lined up well today. Water temperatures were still in the 49-51 degree range, and the tides were low. We planned to fish the end of the outgoing and then the early part of the incoming. There was one faint slick rolling off when we got to the first spot. After a few casts in the area I moved and Daniel stayed there and caught a solid 3 pounder to start things off. Shortly after, I missed a big bite on the pink Fatboy. It wasn't long before things started clicking. Daniel caught a nice trout and I followed with one about 6.5 pounds. We walked slowly down the reef, with no bait showing and very little tide movement, but still managed to pick off some very nice trout. Daniel had one that was right at 8 pounds around 11:00 and I followed up with a solid 5. We had a few more bites and landed a few more fish, then the bite seemed to shut down.

We moved to spot number two and again, we separated, both walking to areas that we like along this reef. I fished my area for about 25 minutes and landed a small fish, about 2 pounds, then started making my way down to Daniel. As I got close, he hooked up with another huge trout. I eased over to take a couple of pics. This fish was very close to 8 pounds as well. We were casting from different angles, and Daniel's angle seemed to be much better. I finally came around to the side of the reef that he was on, and missed a big bite. As we stood there fairly close, we got a double at about 2:30, both fish were in the 7 plus range. We fished for about another hour as the bite again seemed to be slowing, then finally called it quits. Water was off color from the wind yesterday, there was almost no bait showing all day, cloudy early then sun in the mid afternoon, but the fish would come very close to the surface to eat the Corky. Daniel was throwing one of the new Jointed Fatboy floaters all day, which will stay right under the surface. All fish were caught in water from 2.5 to 4 feet deep, over mud with scattered shell.

It was an incredible day, with a total of near 20 trout, 12 over 5 pounds and 6 fish that were over 7 pounds. I did get the bonus redfish, though he was small, still gets your heart pumping when you hook a fish that stays down and fights that hard. Winter big trout fishing is alive in Galveston Bay!!
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

nice fish steve. i wont tell, where your secert spot is lol . i sent you another pm... great report

Comment

Way to go Steve! Kicking some tail out there! Makes me want to take the rest of the week off from this office gig. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you guys.
      If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

Beautiful fish and a great report.

Comment

Great report guys! Way to get on em!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

wow what a day!! nice ones
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Ya'll better save some for the trout tourney!lol....Outstanding Day!
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

And I thought I had a chance in the tournament, ha!
                Scott
                "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Sweet Fish!
                  "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Hope you and DPop left some for me Steve! I haven't been able to get out there with this new job but hopefully soon!....
                    "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

Great report & picture Steve, Danny's a big trout machine!
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

He!! freaking yea!!!!!!!! Very nice Trout......

AQUA PIMP
                        AQUA PIMP......
                        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Incredible day to say the least. Way to go Steve!

Comment

That is a good day guys... It looks to me like the trout tourney is in the bag... But I will donate to the cause none the least...
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                              That is a good day guys... It looks to me like the trout tourney is in the bag... But I will donate to the cause none the least...
                              .......................... Great job guys. You giving up already Hogie? The tournament isn't for another 11 days. Besides, who said they were in west bay?

Comment

Working...
                              X