The Lagoon Fishing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lagoon Fishing???

I am new to Kayak Fishing and looking for some good spots to check out this Sunday. I have read a little about the The Lagoon on the east end of galveston island, but all the posts are 3 years old. Does anyone have any current info on the area? It is legal to fish and is it worth my time? Second spot I was looking at was South Deer Island. Thanks for the help.

I've heard good reports of catches from the lagoon. It's pretty much protected from wind and spacious area. A kayak fishing both shorelines could produce a trophy trout or flounder.

Comment

I've seen kayakers there . Looks a likely place for flounder and reds . Near the bridge with an incoming tide would be a place I would start fishing . Probably debris near the bank there under the water . Go do it , explore , find out for yourself . You might find a hot spot .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I would deem an incoming tide the best . Personally , I wouldn't fish an outgoing tide .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I really tried hard to make that spot work for me last year. A lot of bait in there. There are good reports from there on occasion and I know of one really nice fish caught there.

The plus sides are it is inaccessable to power boats, and is protected from almost all wind directions.

Down sides are from a half-dozen or so trips, my best catches were a "tail-pinched" keeper trout, and a 20" croaker (PB croaker actually...).

Both were caught near the deep gut in the middle where it narrows. Steep dropoff there and it is the deepest part. The entrance to the HSC on an incoming tide is worth working too, but I haven't caught any fish save a few flounder gigged.

Lots of BIG ribbon fish there. Sometimes they don't make it out during a cold norther and get freeze-killed in mass numbers.

Comment

[QUOTE=H.Maier;271399]I've heard good reports of catches from the lagoon. It's pretty much protected from wind and spacious area. A kayak fishing both shorelines could produce a trophy trout or flounder.[/QUOTE Not to pat myself on the back too much but a good friend pulled a nice trout out this weekend and if he would have switched to a strawberry/white soft plastic, he would have had a bigger flounder. Lol.

Comment

I used to fish the lagoon pretty often before Ike hit. I would always catch the nice size reds throwing onto the shoreline. There is a lot of oysters along the south shore line. Ever since Ike it hasn't been the same. Don't know if the gator living there now has anything to do with it ,but he likes to hang out on the west end. Which is the end I always caught flounder. Oh and I had a buddy catch a staph infection from there once!
              GET U SUM!!! SHONUFF!!!

Comment

Working...
              X