Annual peach thinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual peach thinning

Well the tropic snow peaches came in full force as usual again this year. So it's time to thin them out so we can keep the disease down.

The picture is of 1/3 of one main branch on one of the trees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396623831.764308.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	575271

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Son of the Republic

Man that is some work you have ahead of you. I got Tom Sawyered into helping thin a small orchard one time with visions of endless brushpile supply for crappie fishing on Lake Conroe.

After about the 20th tree, I was done with peach tree thinning for sure.

Comment

Wow! Can those be used for anything?

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Compost is about all it's good for.

Son of the Republic

Comment

That's going to be a lot of peaches for sure. Don't peach trees in Texas produce better with more hours of
          cold weather??

Comment

Tropic snow is a low-chill hour variety and supposed to only need~100 hrs to produce, which is great for the gulf coast. I heard peach trees were higher maintenance needing fungal sprays, fruit thinning, etc, so i didnt get any for my edible landscaping. I'm having second thoughts seeing your bumper crop though lol. Plus they are gorgeous in bloom

Comment

Yes tropic snows are the best producers around here. They are one of the lowest chill hour requirement peach trees on the market at 150-200 hours. There are other varieties out there as well that only need 200-300 that also do well here, but the flesh of a tropic snow is the best variety I have tried.

Son of the Republic

Comment

Milkjug the key to selecting a peach tree around here is to get the right root stock. Nemaguard is the preferred root stock around here and that is what all of our peach trees were grafted on too.

The other thing is to thin the tree when the peaches are a little smaller than a golf ball. 1 peach per 5-6 inches.

Son of the Republic

Comment

Working...
                X