Nautical star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautical star

We just bought a house on the west end and I have a 2016 24 ft nautical star Will I be ok in west bay. I see some of the boats hanging in slips are very shallow but I also see some that are a lot deeper than mine. By the way I do not have a jack plate.

NAUTIC STAR. Sorry spell check got me.

Comment

You just have to learn the bay. There are a few spots i can't go and other spots you have to learn, Jones, south shoreline coves, etc. but in most of them there is space to run and get up. I run a 19ft Boston Whaler Outrage II...heavy, not shallow, 73 gallons of fuel, 4 batteries, with a long shaft optimax hanging on the back, it digs down an extra foot when you hammer it from a stop, but i think it's a great bay boat, jetty rig, and offshore when it's nice. It took a while but i don't hit too many reefs or sandbars anymore. I also can run places where i know i can't come off plane, except in certain spots or I will have to idle out (greens). I used to keep the boat in Sea Isle in the 90s and there were a few times in the winter i couldn't get out into the bay. I need 2.5 plus ft. to get up...a little less in soft mud. Run it till you hit ground, stake it, then get out and wade is my spring summer fall strategy in shallow water...most of the trout i catch in winter relate to structure in deeper water and usually caught from the boat. I've got buddies with Majeks if i really want to go drift around the marsh looking for rubber lips...Good luck, go slow till you start to figure it out.

Comment

This is great advice. Go slow 'til you figure it out. And have a push pole handy.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Working...
        X