Crossing SLP from Cold Pass to West Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing SLP from Cold Pass to West Bay

What is a good way to cross from Cold Pass (at SLP Park) over SLP to Galveston bay without hitting bottom? I’d like to get into Galveston Bay in my 16 ft modified Jon but I don’t want to hit a sandbar and get swamped by a roller. Any tips or tricks?

Won't be any rollers just go slow the tides shift the sand bars in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhornbubba View Post
      Won't be any rollers just go slow the tides shift the sand bars in that area.
      So just go straight across from SLP park to the opposite corner of the bay?

Comment

Yea take it slow
        The bars do shift but a great way to see the way is google earth on your phone.
        It’s close enough to help you stay away from the main bars

Comment

You gotta run down the shoreline of mud island and take a right in front of bird island. Then you have to thread the needle between reefs while you’re running east. I’d pretty much idle it till you get it marked on the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

There really isn't a "Good" way that you can depend on. Look on Google Earth and plan a route. Then take it slow and easy. You'll want to cross over Cold Pass almost to Mud Island and take a right in that very deep channel. It branches off along the island to the left to go to Mud Cut or you can continue to Bird Island, but stay to the right to keep out of trouble. From there I'm sure it's different from the last time I went. I generally just stay in the SLP area and haven't ventured into West Bay proper in years. So I can't be too much help. Take it slow and have a push pole in the boat.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

It's been a while but this is the route I alway's used.

Attached Files
              A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Williep View Post

That’s it. Just do it slow the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Williep View Post

That used to be my route also, but now instead of turning left after Bird Island, go straight thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                    That used to be my route also, but now instead of turning left after Bird Island, go straight thru.

Cool !!!
                    A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Plan on walking some and pushing your boat off a bar. If tides are low or an east wind, I wouldn't try it. Best is when water is clear and semi-high tide-you can see (kinda) the deeper water. Best to try to follow someone else and stay back about 200 yards or more.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

There are some markers that will somewhat guide you once you pass Bird Island headed east. Best bet is to go mid afternoon when you can follow the green (deeper) water. I learned the hard way...[emoji1787] Hopped out of the boat a few times. Be careful though. Current is crazy and the bottom will fall away quick in some areas if you do have to push. [emoji476]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Follow a bigger boat. But stay about 200 yards behind at least.
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                          X