My Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Project

Well guys, I had purchased a Saltwater Series II Yamaha 130 and was going to put it on my 18 foot Bayliner. Turns out the transom wood is rotted .

My Mechanic came across this 20 or 21 foor Aluminum Starcraft that needs some spit and elbogrease so to say. Its in good condition except for the sore eyes factor.

I Plan to have it running by the 4th of July. It has a 25 inch transom. My boat mechanic says that the 130 will be a little overkill since its such a light boat. Once I go for a few test runs in Lake Houston I will rig it up for the Bay. I plan on adding a few of those underwater green LED lights on the transom and a few in the boat.

Can anyone let me know where all I can go to with this boat? This is my 1st boat.
    Attached Files
    NoBama

All over the bays with a good auto bilge pump-shouldn't be a problem. I think I'd rather be in the aluminium job than a Bayliner anyway-looks very versatile-just carry spare paint for the dings-beats fiberglass repairs!! Should serve ya well!!!
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I had an 18 foot starcraft that was a nice boat. She ran fast with a 70 Johnson. I think you'd do well with a 90 on a 20 footer. Starcrafts are good boats. Just check that transom. The high gunwales on the starcrafts make them safe and good for the jetties for sure. If you're going to be wading from it though, you'll need to add a step from the transom.

Unfortunately Bayliners are notorious for transom and stringer rot.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Should be a good rig when you get done with it. I fished aluminuim boats a lot of years and they might beat the hell out of you but they get you there and very little maintence

Comment

The floors have been riped out, thats my first project. What size gas tank and Bildge do yall recomend?
          NoBama

Comment

Thats gonna be a nice rig when its done. I like it. I wouldd recomment at least the very least a 20 gal tank and a 500 gph bildge, minimum. More is always better as long as you have the space for the fuel tank. Look on craigslist, for a large console, they have them on there a lot from various boats. Then you can get a 20-30 gal tank and put it under the console. I like the plastic ones because you can visually inspect the fuel level. Mechanical devices on boats are destined to fail. Just my opinion.

My boat has a 30 gal tank under the console. The measurements are around 30" long, 16" wide and 20" tall, give or take.

Keep us posted with pics on the progress.
            "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I am assuming it is a riveted hull, with that, and you saying the floor is already out. I would flip the thing over and put a good couple coats of marine bottom paint. Also check for and repair any Oxidation and holes which may be where the boat sits on the trailer bunks...... Trust me I know.

Comment

800-1200GPH AUTO bilge pump-only way to go-you can make it switched and auto very easy-they come that way. Tiny made a good point about rivets and oxidation also. 30 gallon will get ya about 50 miles per day with the 90-I had a 25 gallon tank and got 40-50 miles per day per tank. Nice rig you'll have.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks Robalo. I have a 130 Yami Salt water series II. How much less miles do you think I will get? I think I am going to have to opt for a 29 Gallon Aux tank in addition to the 18 gallon it already has. I will be looking at it this weekend to check for oxidation. I thnk it does need few coats of bottom paint as well. I am going to hold off on the floor til then.
                  NoBama

Comment

Ooops, 130-no problem-should burn about same as a 90. Shoot, you can run all over the entire complex with 29 gallons-my old boat (17 Monark CC fiberglass, but likely weighed about the same as your 20' Starcraft) had a 90hp rude and 25 gallon tank-I could run from Tx City Dike or Dickinson Bay (146 ramp) to Alligator Point, then to Stingaree/Fat Rat Pass and back to Dickinson and still have gas left-I made runs from Port Mansfield to Landcut and back and side shots to other spots-it's about 20 miles just to the Landcut from Mansfield. Now my Skeeter with 150 yam has a 45 gallon tank and I can run pretty much all over Galveston Bay on 1 tank in a day, so you should be sitting real pretty. Good going-way to take a problem and make it a good thing out of it!! That boat should serve you well-overdoing the bilge with a 1000 or 1200 gph pump is a good idea-better safe than sorry!! Man, that rig will be fast, fuel efficient and tough to hurt!!

Comment

I get around 100-115 miles out of my 30 gal tank and a 115 Johnson. Youll have plenty of gas with the 29 gal aux and 18 primary! Those 130s have the same block as the 90s and 115s(someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the smallest 6 cyclinder is the 150) Good luck.

And on the bilge, more is always better!!!

M.M.
                      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Game plane for now.

I went this weekend to check out my project boat and to my surprise the floods had already been completely removed. I found that they had foamed underneath. I am going to move the console back a bit to gain more room up front. I took the console home to freshen it up.

I was surprised on how much room a 21 footer has. I am moving the console back a try to add about a foot to it. My Boat mechanic showed me about that has built in tackle storage and want to integrate that to my console or rear seating area. I am going to put in a 18 Gallon gas tank on each side. Now Call me silly but I am going to Jerry Rig a 5 Gallon drinking water can in the back as well.

In the rear I am going to add a bench with under storage. I planning on having a cooler for the fish or Food and drinks. I am think about making some type of drawer under the seat to place my plastic boxes of tackle and light them up with led lights. I think having the life jackets and throw bag under the console is a good idea.

There are a few rivets that I am going to have to replace. Once that's taken care of I am going to paint the HULL black on the lower 2/3's of the boat and white on the top 1/3. Opposite of what the boat in the picture is. This is going to take me a while I believe its going to be worth it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by PasadenaMan; May 18, 2009, 12:29 PM.
                        NoBama

Comment

That's gonna be a pretty quick boat with that 130 on it.
                          I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

That'll be a nice rig Pasadena Man. I think you got it worked out and hope to see ya on the water soon!!!

Comment

Looks good, but why are you moving everything back. It will run a little shallower if the weight is more dispersed. JMO of course. Moving the console, all the batteries, and gas tanks, plus a 5 gal washdown all equal more weight in the back and makes it harder to get on plane. Plus the weight of a 130 is quite a bit more than a 90.

Still the deep V should do you well in G Bay...I know i wish i had it on my shallowsport at times!
                              Last edited by FlatoutFishin; May 19, 2009, 04:34 AM.
                              Don't be a Nancy!
                              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                              X